Joseph Carrabis's Reviews > Every Love Story Is a Ghost Story: A Life of David Foster Wallace

Every Love Story Is a Ghost Story by D.T. Max

it was ok

1) I vacillated between a 1 or 2 star rating for Every Love Story is a Ghost Story.
2) I read this side by side with Jonathan Eig's "Ali: a life" (a better book if you're into biographies, my opinion).
3) I opted to read Every Love Story is a Ghost Story because a friend asked me, "Have ever read David Foster Wallace? You write complex stories and he wrote complex stories. Maybe you'd like him." I picked up two Wallace books (not sure if I ever even reviewed them) and found them sometimes amusing but never amusing enough to get past being boring and dull...which this biograpy was, as well.
It's great to be haunted by personal demons. I've never met someone who isn't haunted by their personal demons at some point in their life. You can use personal demons as tools (Wallace did, to a point) and you need to get past them unless you want to be cloying all your life (his writing was, my opinion). I read Every Love Story is a Ghost Story and kept thinking "Grow up, man. You're going to die if you can't get past all that crap in your life," which is what happened.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Love Story Is a Ghost Story.

Finished Reading