Princess Allie's Reviews > Partials

Oct 02, 2011

Recommended to Princess Allie by: Wendy Darling
Recommended for: Readers who work for Skynet and live in the Twelve Colonies
Read from May 13 to 24, 2012 — I own a copy

Favorite Line: My contribution was to somehow refrain from peeing myself. You can thank me later.” P. 344

When Kira was 5 years old, robots tried to take over the world and a horrible air born virus was unleashed. Kira is now 16 and the world has not gotten any better. The government wants to impregnate all young women and a violent group wants to take down this government. The virus is still around and the robots are hidden on the other side of the bridge. Kira is living in a very intimidating world.

Around 2056, a company called ParaGen created robots that look just like us and were made to fight our wars. They decided to turn on humans and let loose a virus called RM. This virus wiped out 99% of the human population and has prevented any babies to live longer than a few minutes. To repopulate and in hopes that one of the babies will have a natural immune system the government created the “Hope Act” which states that any woman at age 18 must try to get pregnant. Some people believe in the act and some are strongly against this. The ones that are strongly against this have form a rebellion group called “The Voice”. They tried to take down the government in anyway they can attitude.

Kira is in the middle of all this. She works as a medic and helps the society by delivering babies and goes on scavenge runs with the military. There are rumors that the government will change the “Hope Act” to age 16 instead of 18, since they have yet to have a baby immune to RM. This gets Kira all worked up and she decides that she will find a cure and save mankind.

This novel geared towards the young adult audience does not read like a young adult novel. Though the main character is a 16 year old this book does not have the YA clichés. There is very little romance and Kira is very mature for her age. In a world she lives in she has too. This book clocks in at about 470 pages and Wells does a splendid job of building a world and creating an atmosphere. I will admit that there are times the book drags on all the medical jargon, but when the action starts, Wells gives a good slap in the face with it. The twist was predictable, but honestly, I don’t care. The story itself was really good. I enjoyed Kira and all her fellow comrades. Her boyfriend, Marcus, was a bit on the cookie cutter side. For some strange reason, later in the book he got a personality and it was funny.

For me, this book left me intrigued enough to read the next book and I felt satisfied with the ending. I hope a lot more things are explored with the next novel now that the world had been made and start seeing more character development.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Partials.

Quotes Princess Allie Liked

Dan Wells
“If I'm going to spend the whole night waiting for you guys to stop flirting and shoot each other, I want to at least be entertained.”

Dan Wells
“My wit is like your legs," said Xochi. " It would be selfish of me to keep it hidden.”

Dan Wells
“Was that the girl who went to Manhattan with you?" Asked Marcus. "I think we owe her a cookie" "I think we owe her a whole damn bakery" said Xochi. "If I wasn't hip deep on the mud, I would kiss her on the mouth”

Dan Wells
“Well, thanks for not shooting anyone, I guess", said Marcus. "My contribution was to somehow refrain from peeing myself. You can thank me later.”
tags: humor

05/13/2012 page 83
05/21/2012 page 345
74.0% ""My contribution was to somehow refrain from peeing myself. You can thank me later." - Now that was funny!"
show 2 hidden updates…

Wendy Darling I predicted the twist too, but like you, it didn't take away from my enjoyment of the book! I'm glad you enjoyed it, Princess. :)

Princess Allie Wendy Darling wrote: "I predicted the twist too, but like you, it didn't take away from my enjoyment of the book! I'm glad you enjoyed it, Princess. :)"
Majority of the time i agree with your reviews, so i keep an eye out on your take on books.