Lauren's Reviews > The Sweetheart Sham

The Sweetheart Sham by Danielle Ellison

bookshelves: 2017

As soon as I saw the cover and the summary for Danielle Ellison's The Sweetheart Sham, I knew I had to have it! I mean, a small town setting, a fake relationship, AND a second chance romance? My YA contemporary loving heart was beating rapidly with excitement and hope.

The Result? The Sweetheart Sham was not good not great but EXCELLENT! Combining delicious southern charm, heartwarming characters, and a swoon worthy romance, The Sweetheart Sham is yet another wonderful addition to YA contemporary, perfect for fans of Sarah Dessen!

The Sweetheart Sham introduces us to Georgia Ann Monroe and Beau Montgomery.

Georgia Ann Monroe is the ultimate people pleaser, which is how she ends up not only as her mother's trusted wedding assistant (a. k. a. 24/7 errand girl) but also as fake girlfriend to her best friend Will. From the first page, I admired Georgia Ann's dedication to the ones she loved. Her friendship with Will was sweet and heartwarming. I thought it was amazing how far she would go to protect him from suffering a broken heart while also urging him to be strong and true to himself. I also loved her relationship with her family. Yes, her mother was overbearing, but it was easy to see how much they loved each other. Plus, Georgia Ann's father always had me laughing - I loved how he could escape the madness by going to his shed. As the book progressed, however, it was easy to see there was a part of Georgia Ann missing: the spark and feistiness that used to make her...well her. With the reappearance of Beau back in town, Georgia Ann starts to regain those traits. She lets loose, stands up for what she thinks is right, and even starts to fall in love in the process. I loved the transition!

Beau, on the other hand, is confused yet hopeful. When he left Culler all those years ago he left behind a mess in the form of a broken heart - two to be exact. Now back in Culler, he wants to make it right. Like Georgia Ann, I found Beau incredibly easy to like. He was this perfect mix between perfect and imperfect. I adored his humor and his determination. At times it broke my heart that he wouldn't mend the fences with his father, or give his mother the answer she wanted; however, as the book progressed, Beau starts to grow up and learn a lot in the process.

The plot in The Sweetheart Sham mostly revolves around Beau and Georgia Ann's second chance at love, the wedding of the summer, and the friendship between Beau, Georgia Ann, and Will. In all of these plot lines, however, one theme was present throughout: being strong, true to yourself, and willing to stand up for what you believe in. Tying in with that, I liked the fact that Danielle included Will's conflict over coming out. I felt that she did a great job of making it realistic, and I especially loved that she gave him such a great ally in the form of Georgia Ann.

In all, The Sweetheart Sham is just like a cup of sweet tea - refreshing and sweet enough that it will have you craving for more, more, more. I can't wait to see whose story is up next. Personally, I'm hoping for Will and his mystery man!

Grade: A-

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sweetheart Sham.

November 12, 2017 – Shelved
November 12, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
November 12, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017
November 24, 2017 – Started Reading
November 24, 2017 –
November 25, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen Ryland Didn't realize this was YA - I thought this was an adult book based on the cover. Either way, I love the sound of it!

Lauren Jen wrote: "Didn't realize this was YA - I thought this was an adult book based on the cover. Either way, I love the sound of it!"

I could see that but nope, it's 100% YA! It's a really great book - the southern setting is just wonderful.

Samantha (WLABB) This one sounds like one I would like. =)