Taiwo | A Lifestyle Nerd 's Reviews > How I Magically Messed Up My Life in Four Freakin' Days

How I Magically Messed Up My Life in Four Freakin' Days by Megan O'Russell

I received an e-ARC of this book from Sara (https://yaboundbooktours.blogspot.com). This does not affect my review in any way

Summary: This book is a mix of Harry Potter and Percy Jackson

I should have finished this book since but I’ve been on a reading slump for ages and I kept on reading a little then stopping. That doesn’t mean I didn’t like it. On the contrary, I really loved this book.

What drew me to it at first was the very long name and the book cover. That cover is beautiful.

Bryant is an ordinary guy. He’s a pasty white boy (his words not mine) who has had a crush on the same girl (Elizabeth) for years and who is under the shadow of his cool, handsome best friend, Devon. This may make some boys jealous and mean but Bryant isn’t like that. He does get a bit jealous once in a while but nothing serious. His mum is the drama teacher in his school and to him, that just makes him even less cool.

When he and Devon find a phone left behind by some bleached-out guy in a taxi, series of events happen that change them forever.

I liked all the characters in this book; even the villain. Bryant was okay. He was a good friend, honorable, sweet but with flaws. I don’t like perfect characters and Bryant is certainly not one. When he suspects Devon of going after Elizabeth behind his back, an ugly side to him was shown. I liked how the author put down the harmful book trope of jealous, possessive people as being “romantic”

Devon was a cool guy. The bad boy kind that girls like and guys admire. He was also quite a talker and a very loyal friend to both Bryant and Elizabeth.

Elizabeth was the smart person in the trio. She was the one who realised that the phone was the source of the burned down theatre stage in the synopsis and her advice helped them a lot during their adventure. I really liked that through her, the author didn’t perpetuate the stereotype of “dumb blondes”

The careless bleached-out guy who left his magical phone in the taxi was Eric, an enigmatic, weird guy whose search for knowledge caused a lot of problems.

Something worth mentioning about this book was its diversity; Bryant sees old, black women as his protectors and there’s also a transgender character!!

The plot of the book is very good and straightforward. My only question was why Bryant had magical powers despite both his parents being normal. That wasn’t explained.

The villain wasn’t very villainous but for a sort-of middle grade book, that can be expected.

The ending was action-packed and very fast-paced and it made up for the rather slow beginning.

In conclusion, I really liked this book and I want everyone to read it.

Favourite Quotes

“She was girl angry. Girl angry is way worse than guy angry. Guy angry might get you shoved in a locker or punched in the face. Girl angry could get your soul ripped out and your spirit broken beyond repair.”

“Sometimes the most absurd things in life are the most valid.”

“I know it’s because they all love their babies so much, they would do anything to protect them. But then if the kids manage to survive whatever the mama was trying to protect them from, they come dump a dying mama on my sofa.”

“Can someone please take me through why the evil dude who wants to kill us is better than the evil ladies who want to kill us? It sounds sexist, but I don’t think that’s what you’re talking about.”

“I thought I heard the dulcet tones of teenaged angst.”

Read more of my reviews at www.stuffedshelvesite.wordpress.com
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How I Magically Messed Up My Life in Four Freakin' Days.

November 12, 2017 – Started Reading