Alyce Hunt's Reviews > Lincoln in the Bardo

Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders

bookshelves: 2017-releases, adult-fiction, library-borrowed

A ghost story in which the ghosts don't know they're ghosts.
The entirety of the narrative is delivered through the medium of quotes - some real, some fictional - either about the Lincoln family or from the ghosts themselves.
If it hadn't been so obvious for the reader that the ghosts were ghosts, I would have enjoyed this more. Instead the reader knows from the beginning and has to deal with the irony of every character being completely unaware of their nature. If the reveal had taken some time it might have been more impactful.
That being said, I flew through this and I really enjoyed it. I'm an avid user of Twitter, so the short quotes rapidly switching from character to character was something I managed to get my head around far quicker than I'd anticipated.
I only picked this up because we read 'Adams' in a creative writing lecture, but I'm hooked on George Saunders writing already.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lincoln in the Bardo.

November 12, 2017 – Started Reading
November 12, 2017 – Shelved
November 12, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017-releases
November 12, 2017 – Shelved as: adult-fiction
November 12, 2017 – Shelved as: library-borrowed
November 14, 2017 –
60.0% "'Strange, isn’t it? To have dedicated one’s life to a certain venture, neglecting other aspects of one’s life, only to have that venture, in the end, amount to nothing at all, the products of one’s labors utterly forgotten?'"
November 14, 2017 – Finished Reading