Craig Bergland's Reviews > Jesus: A Pilgrimage

Jesus by James     Martin

it was ok
bookshelves: christianity, jesus, spirituality

I tried to like this book, I really did. Fr. Martin is a great guy, I am sure, but he is no Bible scholar. What’s more, the ramblings of his imagination may make for great Ignation “meditation” but his imagination cannot create truth about Jesus the rest of us should be prepared to swallow solely on the basis of said imagination. In fact, if he accurately describes the foundation of his meditation, I have lost respect for Jesuits. Cogitation is not prayer.

Also, I know he has to keep them Vatican happy, but many of the things he says about the Bible simply aren’t true. His defense of the Vatican’s position the Jesus didn’t have siblings would be laughable if I didn’t find myself having sympathy pains for the spasms he must be experiencing after contorting himself that dramatically. That’s just one example, but you get the idea.

Finally, the title. This book is more travelogue than anything else. For him it was a pilgrimage. For me it was an exercise in patience that lasted about one third of the way through the book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jesus.

November 11, 2017 – Started Reading