Christine's Reviews > Dimma

Dimma by Ragnar Jónasson

Fans of Nordic noir will instantly recognise Ragnar Jonasson. His Dark Iceland series has won him many fans. He is an exceptional storyteller, with an eye for detail and complexity. He has moved from small town claustrophobic drama to something a little bit different in his Hidden Iceland trilogy. The Darkness is every bit as clever, as his previous work. That ending is pure genius.

Initially it may seem that The Darkness is rather simplistic. We have an investigation into the case of young Russian asylum seeker. If that is all that you see, you have missed the point. I don’t think we are meant to be concentrating completely on the case. Our focus should be Hulda, a rather unconventional and tenacious woman, approaching retirement.

The Darkness is a beautiful, dark and rather compelling character study of Hulda. It also caused moments of laughter. Black humour is very much appreciated. Jonasson takes a 64 year old woman, who is working her last few days before retirement. Well done, Mr Jonasson, for featuring such a strong female lead in this age group. Most unusual! Hulda is a police inspector, who wants to end her career on a high. However her boss tells us to take it easy in the last few days of her service and encourages her to find a cold case and relax. Hulda chooses her case and sets off to find the answers. She doesn’t take advice well. By the end of the novel, we have formed a very clear vision of the character of Hulda. She is wonderful. It would be fair to say Hulda chose poorly and picked the wrong case. Events start to spiral out of control, in her life. Oh dear! Poor Hulda.

I cannot wait to see where Ragnar Jonasson takes us next, in this trilogy. I understand that we see more of the delightful Hulda, at an earlier point in her career. How very intriguing.

Recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dimma.

November 11, 2017 – Shelved