Angelina's Reviews > The Neighborhood Mother Goose (Ala Notable Children's Books. Younger Readers

The Neighborhood Mother Goose (Ala Notable Children's Books. ... by Nina Crews

Oct 02, 2011

1. Mother Goose
2. This is a collection of well-known Mother Goose rhymes set in a city.
3. A. Pictures
B. How can one make a Mother Goose book stand out? This semester, I am required to read two different Mother Goose books. My first thought was, “Why two? They are all the same.” To my surprise, my first thought was trumped by this book.
According to the biographical commentary on the back flap of this book, Nina Crews uses her Brooklyn neighborhood as the inspiration for the pictures in the book. She exemplifies skill in making the book multicultural, hence, relatable to just about any child. The pictures often take a literal look at each rhyme, allowing students to use the pictures as a navigation tool while reading the rhyme.
C. Photographs plus digital editing allows one to see a teeny tiny Jack (a real boy) jumping over a cupcake with a candlestick half his size (p. 12-13) and teeny tiny children who live in a show with the old woman (p. 44-45). Some pictures are realistic as we see a boy look outside a window in “Twinkle, Tinkle Little Star” (p. 22-23) and a boy and a lady riding a carousel in “Ride a Cockhorse” (p. 28-29).
Throughout the book, children of different races are shown “acting” out the rhyme. In “There Was an Old Lady Who Lived in a Shoe” (p. 44-45), her children are of all different ethnicities, subtly taking into account diverse families of America.
4. This could belong in any pre-school library because it is a Mother Goose book, and it is predictable. Rhymes are an important component to teaching beginning readers how to read. Additionally, this specific Mother Goose book could be used to introduce young children to diversity. It can be relatable to urban children; however, it can also introduce students who live in suburban or rural areas to city life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Neighborhood Mother Goose (Ala Notable Children's Books. Younger Readers.

message 1: by Kelley (new)

Kelley I have been looking for Mother Goose books to read, and I am looking forward to getting this one after reading your review. I really appreciate your adding the bio info on the author, that has added to my interest in this story.