Liz's Reviews > The Name of the Star

The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson

Oct 02, 2011

This book is so good, you should probably investigate local laws re: marrying of inanimate objects because you're going to want to propose when you're done.

To be fair, I'm already a rabid Maureen Johnson fan. To the degree that I was reading another one of her books when the UPS guy stopped by to deliver my signed copy of Name of the Star. But I'm telling you--this is an amazing book. Great characters, which are Johnson's signature. Amazing incorporation of her setting. This one in particular read like a love letter to London and made me want to go there more than I already do. But this time, she's brought us a seamless incorporation of mystery and a dash of the paranormal (okay, more than a dash). It's handled so deftly, I honestly believe a fan of any genre could find something to latch onto here.

Johnson has thrown down the gauntlet for what paranormal MUST become to stay a healthy genre in the glutted market. It's not enough to have a sexy ghost anymore. I'm going to expect fully developed characters and some excitement to go with it.

Oh, and kissing. Yummy, not-creepy kissing. That's on my must-have list for paranormal from now on.

Thank you, Maureen! You damn well better have that second book out soon, because I want MORE RORY! And Jerome. More Jerome, please.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Name of the Star.

Heather Yay for Maureen, once again! I agree that smart books like this should set the bar for paranormal going forward. Anything less will be a disappointment.