Charlotte May's Reviews > We Were Liars

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

“Tragedy is ugly and tangled, stupid and confusing.”

Everyone warned me about the twist in this book! I did well not to get spoiled, as it was definitely a shock horror moment.

A patriarch, his three daughters and their children summer every year on Beechwood Island, where each of the three daughters had a house for themselves and their children.
They are all rich, well off and ignorant. The three oldest grandchildren and their family friend are the closest. They refer to themselves as the ‘Liars’. Johnny, Mirren, Gat and Cadence.

The summer of their fifteenth year, Cady has an accident. Hits her head, and suffers severe migraines that can knock her out for days at a time. She misses the entirety of summer sixteen - while on holiday with her dad in Europe.

When she returns for Summer Seventeen, things don’t feel the same. The adults are quiet, drinking too much and generally being secretive.

Her migraines and head injury cause Cady to suffer memory blanks from summer fifteen. It doesn’t help that her ‘Liars’ won’t fill her in on anything, having been told it’s best if she tries to remember things on her own.

What eventually comes to light regarding the events of summer fifteen will absolutely blow your mind! Though I knew there would be a shock twist, I was in no way prepared for the one they gave me!

A relatively short book, I blitzed through it, and highly recommend.

***************************

Well fuck

RTC

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Were Liars.

November 11, 2017 – Shelved
November 11, 2017 – Shelved as: own-tbr
April 5, 2018 – Started Reading
April 5, 2018 –
page 1
0.44% "Late to the party as always, but here I am. Ready for my mind to get messed up!"
April 6, 2018 –
page 144
63.44% "Looks like I won’t be sleeping tonight until I find out what happens!"
April 6, 2018 – Shelved as: illness-mental-terminal
April 6, 2018 – Shelved as: crime-mystery-thriller
April 6, 2018 – Shelved as: contemporary-recent
April 6, 2018 – Shelved as: alcoholism-drugs
April 6, 2018 – Shelved as: ya
April 7, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)

message 1: by Kat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kat Ha ha, that was my first reaction :)

Jenny ahahaha....it took me a few days to get over it too...

message 3: by Rana⚡ (new) - added it

Rana⚡ I KNOW I KNOW NSNWJWNW but its still a brilliant ending!!!

Izzy Hahaha, I remember finishing this at school and one of my non-bookish friends had to listen to me babble on about my mind being completely fucked. Can't wait to read your review! Unfortunately, my review was on my old account and I'm not sure if I'll review it again because the feeling of 'OMG' after just reading it is no longer with me...

message 5: by Joe (new)

Joe Krakovsky WTF? I guess I have to read this.

Charlotte May @Katwiththehat: I knew there was a twist but that was just crazy!

Charlotte May @Jenny: I know right! I still can’t believe it!

Charlotte May @Rana: definitely was a great ending!

Charlotte May @Izzy: yeah I know what you mean - if it’s been a while I guess the shock factor will have gone

Charlotte May @Joe: heck yes! It’s insane!

Charlotte May @Readaholic: thanks 😊 it was a quick but twisty read!

MischaS_ Readaholic ∞ wrote: "Charlotte wrote: "@Readaholic: thanks 😊 it was a quick but twisty read!"

I definitely need to read this then 😍"

You definitely should! I really liked this one.

Jackie Wadsworth This sounds right up my street! Have added to my list of to reads!

Charlotte May Jackie wrote: "This sounds right up my street! Have added to my list of to reads!"

Prepare yourself for the wild ride!

Michelle YESSSS! I was hoping you'd love this! Fantastic review, Charlotte! :)

Charlotte May Michelle wrote: "YESSSS! I was hoping you'd love this! Fantastic review, Charlotte! :)"

Thanks Michelle! It completely threw me!

Fallon Loved this one!! 👍

Charlotte May Fallon wrote: "Loved this one!! 👍"

Glad you enjoyed too!

Olivia-Savannah  Roach I liked this book but I do wish the plot twist had come earlier!

Charlotte May @Olivia-Savannah: good thing it was such a short novel 😊 glad you liked it too!