Brock Deskins's Reviews > Lost Solace

Lost Solace by Karl Drinkwater

I've only read one other story by Karl, a shorter piece called Harvest Festival, but it was enough to feel comfortable buying this one, and I was not disappointed. It takes great skill writing a full novel with just one character POV throughout and with almost no other character other than a ship's A.I. and a antagonist who doesn't make an appearance until the last few chapters. Despite the extremely limited cast, or perhaps because of it, I never found myself skimming a single passage, and that is a rare occurance for me as I am easily distracted and will skip through narrative I find even the slightest bit boring or superfluous. None of that here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lost Solace.

October 25, 2017 – Started Reading
November 10, 2017 – Shelved
November 10, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Karl (new) - added it

Karl Drinkwater Many thanks for this, Brock. There is currently a sequel (Chasing Solace) and a spin-off novella (Helene). I hope to write a third book in the main series to round the arc out next year, fingers crossed ...

Brock Deskins After my last migraine a few months back, I've all but stopped reading. I've been listening to audiobooks. I need to see if I can get past my PTSD (PTMD?) and get back to reading. I really do want to read the sequel.

message 3: by Karl (new) - added it

Karl Drinkwater Shit, sorry to hear that - though I understand about the audiobooks. I basically spent the last six months listening to various Alien ones! I only just finished those and turned back to my thousands of paperbacks and Kindle books. I guess the migraines interfere with your writing and editing too? And unfortunately only Lost Solace is available as an audiobook - Chasing Solace is in production. If it had been finished I'd have happily given you Audible codes for it. If ever you do get back into reading feel free to let me know, I can send you free copies of Chasing Solace and Helene.

Brock Deskins Yeah, the last few I've gotten has taken nearly two months each to get back to where I can read and write without discomfort. I'm not getting as many as I used to but now the after effects seem to be persisting longer. After the last one I just...I don't know. It's shied me away from sitting down and reading.

message 5: by Karl (new) - added it

Karl Drinkwater It sounds really horrible. I bet you've tried all the more obvious causes and palliatives (dehydration/water, stress/tension relief etc etc). I really hope you get some light a the end of the tunnel. :-(

Brock Deskins It's a chronic issue I've had most my life. Stress is certainly a factor as well as diet.