Rebecca Rogers's Reviews > Daughter of Smoke & Bone

Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor

bookshelves: angels, demons, own, paranormal, paranormal-romance, romance, magic, fantasy

What a beautiful story about a love that transcends time and losses which rupture the heart. I don’t remember the last time I read a book with so many wonderful analogies, either. :)

Karou has grown up around her “monster” friends, and it’s the only life she’s ever known. But there’s something missing. Karou has no idea of her true identity . . . until she comes face to face with an angel named Akiva. The hamsas (eyelike tattoos) on Karou’s palms burn brightly with a mere touch against Akiva’s skin, a touch that brings him to his knees. But along the way, Karou and Akiva form a bond like no other, and Akiva can’t help but think Karou reminds him of a love from long ago. But it can’t be . . . can it?

I loved the first half of the book. The latter half is what threw me for a loop, and while I enjoyed reading the past history of (you’ll have to read to find out!), it just didn’t hold my interest like the first half. But I did love the setting (Prague!), the details, the new take on angels and demons, and the characters. And the teeth. The particulars about the teeth and what they were used for was quite interesting, to say the least. When all of these tidbits came together, the story was so mesmerizing I couldn’t help but keep reading.

Overall, if you’re looking for a new book to add to your paranormal shelf, get this one. :)

October 2, 2011 – Started Reading
April 23, 2012 – Shelved as: romance
April 23, 2012 – Shelved as: magic
May 6, 2012 – Shelved as: fantasy
May 6, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Aleeeeeza yayyy! the second half of this one is quite amazing--it's mostly backstory, but the backstory is really just...breahttaking!

hope you love it as much as i did! :D

Rebecca Rogers Lately I've just been reading ARCs from Netgalley and snatching up bargain books on Amazon, but I actually decided to buy this one. I'm usually not too excited about backstories, but I NEED to find out Karou's. :D

Aleeeeeza Rebecca wrote: "Lately I've just been reading ARCs from Netgalley and snatching up bargain books on Amazon, but I actually decided to buy this one. I'm usually not too excited about backstories, but I NEED to find..."

i understand your need, sis. heh.

and yeah dude, same here. SO MANY NETGALLEY BOOKS AHHH. and i haven't read a galleygrab book in MONTHS--dunno where it's disappeared...? finally, in ten days approx, i shall be DONE WITH NETGALLEY BOOKS. kay so, not really, but i'll take a bit of a break and read other ebooks i've been wanting to for ages. :)

Rebecca Rogers Want to trade places? lol I've knocked most of mine out for the rest of the year (minus two), but there are still the 2012 books...

slkfjlsdkjfslkjl

...and also the ones I didn't finish from earlier this year. :{

Aleeeeeza Rebecca wrote: "Want to trade places? lol I've knocked most of mine out for the rest of the year (minus two), but there are still the 2012 books...

slkfjlsdkjfslkjl

...and also the ones I didn't finish from ..."

you won't believe how many i marked as 'declined'. i only review books i like on my blog, so that means even if i do read the whole ARC and can't find mostly positive things to say, i have ta decline it. ah well.

and yeah, the 2012 books...i read a few, and i still have a few to read laterz. and by laterz i mean A LONG TIME LATER.

Rebecca Rogers Yeah, I've had to decline a lot of them too. I start, and 50 pages in realize it's not for me. Sucks, but oh well.

I feel you on the 2012 books. If you're like me, later means, like, next year. ha