Helen's Reviews > Home

Home by Nnedi Okorafor

bookshelves: competent-female-characters, feminist, reviewed, sci-fi, spaceships

A big change of pace from the first book.

Binti was all about Binti stepping out into the world on her own and is a fast-paced alien contact sci-fi story. Home is about Binti's return to her homeworld and her family, and her struggle to reconcile all the different parts of herself and find acceptance in her rigidly structured patriarchal culture. It's a slower paced than the first book and it's much more about Binti and the way she is changing from contact with the different cultures, the alien Meduse and the desert people - her own estranged family.

Sci-fi elements are still blended with this story but it's much more in the background than in the first book. That's not altogether a bad thing, Nnedi Okorafor's world building is so good that the sci-fi becomes the norm and the story is allowed to grow and become more thoughtful.

I was pleased to see there are answers to some of my big questions from the first book but then it goes and ends very abruptly in what feels like the middle of the story. Just as I was really getting involved, it cut me off! I wish it was longer as it does feel like it doesn't go anywhere on its own.

Home is an engaging sequel to Binti and I'm very eagerly awaiting the final book to finish the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Home.

November 10, 2017 – Shelved