Miranda Reads's Reviews > Danny the Champion of the World

Danny the Champion of the World by Roald Dahl

bookshelves: 2018-finer-books-club-reading-chall, audiobook

How well do you know your parents?

Nine-year-old Danny always lived with just his dad in their cozy gypsy caravan. He thought he knew everything about his father, until one day he wakes up in the middle of the night to find out that his father missing. His father - his honorable, wonderful and loving father - has a very, very huge secret. One that will throw their lives into complete chaos.

I will not pretend I wasn't petrified. I was. But mixed in with the awful fear was a glorious feeling of excitement. Most of the really exciting things we do in our lives scare us to death. They wouldn't be exciting if they didn't.

I loved the father-son relationship. The first third of the book simply describes all the things Danny does with his dad - from homemade kites to taking apart an engine. Dahl's signature writing style made ordinary happenings into riveting adventures.
I really enjoyed how this Dahl story was so grounded in reality. There wasn't any BFGs or Chocolate Factories (though they were mentioned) to distract us from the characters. Plus, in just every sentence you can just tell how much Danny and his dad care about each other.

I was glad my father was an eye-smiler. It meant he never gave me a fake smile because it's impossible to make your eyes twinkle if you aren't feeling twinkly yourself.

Five stars all the way.

The Finer Books Club - 2018 Reading Challenge: A book that doesn't fit any of the above prompts

Blog | Instagram | Twitter

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Danny the Champion of the World.

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)

message 1: by Adina (new)

Adina i have to read some adult Dahl. he was my favorite author as a child and it would be interesting to know what i would think of him now.

Miranda Reads Oooo.... well, adult Dahl books can be very...adult. at least the few that I've read so far are :p

Matt Great review, Miranda!

Miranda Reads Thank you Matt :)

message 5: by Paula (new)

Paula Wonderful review, Miranda! I'm so glad you enjoyed it! :)

Miranda Reads Thank you so much. This was so adorable

Tara Lovely review, Miranda! This is one of my favorite Roald Dahl books, I too found it adorable and absolutely loved the father-son relationship!

Miranda Reads Glad to find someone who enjoyed as much as me :) I'm curious - what's your fave Dahl book?

Tara Miranda wrote: "Glad to find someone who enjoyed as much as me :) I'm curious - what's your fave Dahl book?"

My all-time fave is The BFG, but Matilda is a close second, and this one comes in third. How about you?

Miranda Reads I'm reading them all for the first time. I just finished the BFG and likes it. My fave so far. Though, I really enjoyed My Year and this one :)

message 11: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Gah! There's no where else I can leave a comment but I wanted to say I'm so glad I stumbled onto your page! I love the stuff you're currently reading! That said, I haven't read Danny the Champion of the World but I HAVE recently read BFG, Matilda, and Witches to my young daughters (myself for the first time) and we LOVED them. Loving Roald Dahl.

Miranda Reads Haha - nice to meet you too :) I never read Dahl as a child and am really enjoying him as a adult. I just finished the BFG (review will be coming out soon) and I'm starting the witches soon - can't wait!

This is something I really wished I read when I was younger :)

message 13: by Elyse (new)

Elyse Walters Wonderful Miranda!

Miranda Reads Thank you Elyse!!

message 15: by Simon (new)

Simon great review

Miranda Reads Simon wrote: "great review"