Missy Jane's Reviews > Hit List

Hit List by Laurell K. Hamilton

Oct 02, 2011

liked it

It took a bit of convincing from the friend who introduced me to LKH for me to pick up this book. In fact, I didn't even buy my own copy, just borrowed my friend's. I'm one of those considering "breaking up" with Anita Blake despite our long history together. I'd read and heard great things about Hit List and had high hopes, but I'm not sure it delivered.

First, I quickly realized as I was reading Anita's words that I was hearing her voice as monotone in my head. Never a good sign. I think she uses too many words. Not that LKH uses too many words, she just lets Anita do it. She over explains things until even the simplest conversation wears me out. Is it for the benefit of new readers who don't know all the history and BS Anita has put herself through at this point? I'm not sure, but I feel as if I could've skipped through most of the book and just read the last fifty pages with the same result. Sure I might have missed out on some Edward (my favorite character of ALL time) He really seems to have evolved in this book. But even the insight Anita had of Edward's changes were all in how he was reacting to her. I think maybe I'm just sick of her. Don't know how to fix that since it's all first person narrative.

LKH's writing is still really good. My only complaint is rehashing what the readers already know, even in subtle ways. Honestly, at this point anyone picking up one of these books is reading the series. If not, they'll figure it out quickly and go back to the beginning. We really don't need the full-body descriptions of characters we've come to know so well. We don't need to be reminded of what is wrong with Anita, or why male cops hate her. We don't need to be reminded of how tough, petite, big-breasted she is...no, really we don't. I think it bothers me to have that rehashed because it's as if Anita is thinking of herself in those terms still after all this time. If she was real she would have evolved by now too and moved on to focus on other things...right?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hit List.