C.G. Drews's Reviews > Ash Princess

Ash Princess by Laura Sebastian

bookshelves: epic-fantasy, read-2018, young-adult

This was a pretty dark and politically twisty fantasy, and I was pretty sold! It had powerful magic and intriguing world building and I am so there for this.

Seriously tho: world building!
It actually takes time to show us languages and cultures and there were a lot of "fantasy" words flying about, but I didn't get confused. I felt really sucked into the world after only a few chapters. Plus it had a lot of fantastic details so everything seemed super vivid!

It has a lot of "prettiness" in it to balance the horror of the conquerors.
It's absolutely about a conquered nation, and Theo is basically a trophy, tortured daily for the crimes of her people but kept alive despite the horror she has to go through. So she's like lavished in pretty dresses and wears pretty makeup and goes to banquets and has books. Her BFF is one the daughter of a very powerful dude and she's all pretty and light and flippant. But then in the background you have the conquered people being murdered and enslaved in mines and Theo's being whipped if they rebel. It was a brutal and visual contrast.

This one had such a stunning world and so much potential for sequels. It's about wicked conquerors and the glitter and jewels people will pile on top of festering poison and murders and I was definitely intrigued.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ash Princess.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Laura Sebastian
“Because I am not all right. I am a hurricane barely contained in skin.”
Laura Sebastian, Ash Princess

November 9, 2017 – Shelved
November 9, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
May 9, 2018 – Started Reading
May 13, 2018 – Shelved as: epic-fantasy
May 13, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
May 13, 2018 – Shelved as: young-adult
May 13, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

Minni Mouse The Winner's Curse is everything, yaaaas. Grateful review! 😀

Kathy Tuck Great review, reading this in about a week :-D

empirestatebookshelf If I didn't like The Winner's Curse... do you still think I could like this one? Because I've wanted to read it for so long but... I also don't want to hate it 😂

C.G. Drews @Minni: I really love that series!!

@Kathy: I hope you like it!!

@empirestatebookshelf: I have no idea 😂try and see?

Angel (huge fan of all things Totoro) I haven't given "The Winner's Curse" a try. Is it darker? More plot twisty? And most importantly... does it have a love triangle?!

C.G. Drews @Angelee: I think TWC is cleverer...it's more into schemes and plot twists and betrayals. Not necessarily darker? NO TRIANGLE (thank goodness 😂😂)

message 7: by Stella (new) - added it

Stella ☆Paper Wings☆ Awww I was hoping for some quality scheming too😔

Donna (the book hoarder) Søren's just sitting here being the "misunderstood chivalrous prince" and Blaise is just here being the "tortured angry rebel boy"》》 I'm reading it right now and THIS. You summed up my problem with these two with this sentence. I'm just not feeling them or the love triangle to be honest 😪

message 9: by Jamie (new) - added it

Jamie Rose I've heard a lot of mixed things about this but it sounds really good from this review!