Laurie Carlson's Reviews > Farsighted

Farsighted by Emlyn Chand

"Farsighted” by Emlyn Chand

First, I just want to say that I really enjoyed this book by Emlyn Chand! Her writing is SO good, enjoyable, and continues to make you think after the book is over, that she got me to read a genre that I don't normally read! I just have to laugh at that! She asked me, I said no. She wrote back and said to 'just try it out'. Okay, I said. Sure enough, I was hooked! Emlyn, you're GREAT! The power of suggestion really DOES work with a talented and unique person such as yourself!
Everyone should give this book a try!
In Farsighted, we meet Alex, a sophomore in High School, who is very unique. Alex is unique in that he is blind. In school, it’s not enough he has to navigate around blindly with his cane, but there always is that one big bully, Brady, who has nothing better to do than to pick on Alex. I have to give Alex credit as he sure can fight that bully off and put him in his place! In school one day, he meets a girl named Simmi. Simmi is Indian, so she stands out from the other kids somewhat as well. They become very good friends, and Alex is starting too really like her. Alex also meets Simmi’s friend, Shapri.
Alex’s parents do not have a lot of money, as his father has been out of a job for a long time. He goes to a lot of interviews but never gets offered a job, which Alex thinks is strange. Alex’s Dad even leaves the family for a little while with no explanation, which makes Alex upset but his Mother is devastated. Once he does return, which felt like forever, not to mention Alex was still mad at him but happy for his mother as she was a changed person and was so happy as her husband had returned to her. What bothered Alex was his Dad’s speech. Sometimes it still had that Bostonian tweak to it, and at others it was normal. Alex’s mother owns a florist in town, which is where Alex goes after school every day. Later he learns there is a new store that has opened up next door to his mothers’. It is a Psychic store. The owner is a Mrs. Teak, a woman who offers palm readings, crystal ball readings, and many other services. It turns out this woman is Shapri’s mother! One day she tells Alex that he has a very special gift in addition to his gift of heightened senses from being blind. It is a second gift that lies in the realm of second sight. She explains it all to him and at first, he is not to sure about it, but is open to learning more about it. He starts to go to this store every day to get training.
Alex and his friend Simmi start to become really good friends by now. Simmi even learns Braille so she can see what it is like for Alex to see to read. Alex starts to get visions that Simmi is going to die and he panics. He keeps training to learn how to stop Simmi from being hurt or killed.
It comes to the point where Alex must use his newly learned powers and he is nervous.
I am not going into anymore about this story! The rest is up to you to read! Enjoy!
This book was enjoyable. Emlyn Chand is an excellent writer, in my opinion, to get me, who doesn’t ordinarily read YA or Paranormal, THIS IS PROOF! It was very well written and will appeal to all sorts of different audiences. It addresses High Schoolers’ more so, but I think their parents will enjoy reading this, too, for those parents who read what their teens read first.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR from the Amazon Author Page:
Emlyn Chand has won several awards for “Farsighted”. They are as follows:
*Readers Favorite 5-Star Review Award Recipient
*Winner of the Alternative Booker Award, 2011
*Winner of the Writers-Type First Chapter Competition, September 2011
This is from the Amazon Author page http://www.amazon.com/Emlyn-Chand/e/B... and is also in the back of the book! Here it is:
Emlyn Chand has always loved to hear and tell stories, having emerged from the womb with a fountain pen grasped firmly in her left hand (true story). When she's not writing, she runs a large book club in Ann Arbor and is the president of author PR firm, Novel Publicity. Emlyn loves to connect with readers and is available throughout the social media interweb. Visit www.emlynchand.com for more info. Don't forget " to her say "hi" to her sun conure Ducky!
She has also been hard at work working on the NaNoWriMo Contest where authors have to write a certain number of words in a certain timeframe. I could have my information about this a little wrong, as I am not an author, but I have seen many who are participating in this contest. Emlyn is one of them, and she has blogged about it at http://www.novelpublicity.com/2011/11...
You’ll have to go there and read all about it!
I received this book for “FREE” from Blue Crown Press, through Novel Publicity, through their Book Reviewer’s Program in exchange to read and write a review about this book. It is NOT required for my review I write to be either positive or negative, but, “of my own opinion.” I was NOT provided with “ANY” monies to accept this book, “NOR” to read it, NOR were “ANY” monies given to me to write the review for this book. All that was ‘expected’ of me was to enjoy the pure pleasure of reading it. Again, the opinions expressed for and about this book are ‘of my own opinion’. I am disclosing this information in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255, http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/wa... Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Farsighted.

October 2, 2011 – Shelved
October 2, 2011 –
0.0% "This is by the Owner of Novel Publicity! Emland Chand! I can guarantee this book is going to be GREAT! BETTER than GREAT! I'll keep you posted!"
Started Reading
November 2, 2011 – Finished Reading
November 9, 2011 –
100.0% "Watch for my review on Friday, November 11th! I will have a FUN Author Interview with Emlyn Chand and there will be a link to VOTE FOR ME!! Please vote for me!! Thanks!"
November 10, 2011 – Shelved as: a-boy
November 10, 2011 – Shelved as: character-female
November 10, 2011 – Shelved as: character-male
November 10, 2011 – Shelved as: parents
November 10, 2011 – Shelved as: a-gift-of-a-second-sight

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by kjforce (new)

kjforce Laurie..I went to the site as instructed and posted comment for you,took the test etc..not sure if the comment posted as there was no confirmation..did it post..let me know ..I will redo...kjforce