Cara's Reviews > Lie

Lie by Caroline Bock

Oct 01, 2011

bookshelves: 2012, realistic-fiction, whoa-that-s-heavy
Read from March 19 to 22, 2012

This is not a book to "enjoy" or get excited about it. It's one of those seemingly rare books whose sole purpose is to make you think. I'm not sure even how to rate this book. I guess I'll see to that once I finish getting my thoughts in order.

Skylar Thompson (presumably the girl on the cover) is Jimmy Seeger's girlfriend. Yup that is her label because Jimmy is a person that everyone falls in love with. He is confident and a natural born leader. People feel this pull to listen to him. Skylar has just lost her mother to cancer a month ago and Jimmy's strong and protective personality won her over easily. Well the town is shocked to hear that Jimmy and Sean (Jimmy's best friend) have been arrested for beating up two brothers who come from Hispanic backgrounds. One of them, Arturo, is in critical condition. But how can this be? The kids are good here, and Jimmy can do no wrong, …right?

I'm a typically happy person so I tend to steer away from too intense reads. This would be one of those reads. The book is told from ten different perspectives, and that may seem like overkill but the author makes it so it adds something to the story and not hinders it. The plot and characters are steeped in worry, confusion, and the weight of the depression is suffocating. The Long Island town itself feels like it's falling on its own weight of lies. No joke here to break the tension or a good dose of happy moments to put the reader at ease. It was so hard to read this because I could feel myself being pulled down with them; heavy with the decisions that had to be made. The book had me thinking of what I would do in each person's position. Is there such thing as being too loyal? Or is it about choosing who to give that loyalty to, and in fact who actually deserves your loyalty? It seems easy when you see a story on the news, but once you are involved and know the people and have witnessed something terrible it changes everything.

I personally liked seeing the point of views of the adults here. I'm sorry to say some of them seem kind of dim but I'm not going to say there are not dim adults out there because there are, but by having the adults have a point of view it shows how important their role is in a situation like this.

This is a bit on the irrelevant side, but I want to emphasize to teenagers out there that though senior year is something to be celebrated, don't put too much expectation on it. I mention this because these teenagers seemed to have the sense that they had to have something different and exciting happen to them on their last year and it got out of hand.

The only thing for me that I didn't connect to was how much confusion the characters have. I would have liked to see one character be sensible throughout. My favorite narrator out of the ten was Carlos, Arturo's brother. I suspect that this book will be found in classrooms in the near future because there is a lot to discuss. It not only has the obvious theme of hate crimes but also the role of adults and teenagers in taking responsibility. If I go back and read it I know I'll find more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lie.