Caroline's Reviews > 1Q84

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami

Oct 01, 2011

bookshelves: magical-realism, nook
Read from November 20 to December 03, 2011

This is only my second Murakami novel (first being Kafka on the Shore, which I picked up back around the time it hit the shelves in America), and absolutely loved it. I'm glad I went in knowing that this was originally a trilogy, and not a single huge volume, as otherwise I think some of the repetition in here would have grated on me. Instead, there was a kind of dream-like quality this book gave off, and I found myself just going along with it (much the same with Kafka).

Aomame was definitely my favorite character in here, but that was a given with her unconventional job as massage therapist-gone-assassin. I was happy that, for most of the book, she actually took charge of a lot of her destiny, rather than being passive. Tengo, on the other hand, felt like a more passive character for much of the book--which, in romances, it seems to be the other way.

In book three, it was a really interesting move for Murakami to include a third perspective in the form of Ushikawa, after so much of this being purely told from Tengo and Aomame. I was disappointed by the shift with Aomame's character, however. (view spoiler) So, while I was happy with the dynamics of Aomame being such a strong character, in the end this did fall back on some of the old traditions of the women being the passive characters.

The ending was certainly satisfying. While there are so, so many questions that are never answered, for me they just didn't need to be spelled out. The important things are covered, and the elements in here that are just down-right mysterious and strange stay that way. It felt as though too many explanations and answers would just spoil the magic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 1Q84.

11/20/2011 page 1
0.0% "Here's another wrist-breaker that my library doesn't have on eBook. Hearing nothing but good about it, though!"
show 6 hidden updates…