ashley 🌈's Reviews > First They Killed My Father: A Daughter of Cambodia Remembers

First They Killed My Father by Loung Ung

bookshelves: books-that-made-me-ugly-cry, diverse-books

A heartbreaking memoir detailing the horrors of the Cambodian genocide and Khmer Rouge takeover. Loung's story spans over 4 years, from her sheltered life in Phnom Penh before the invasion, to her leaving Thailand for America. I urge anyone and everyone to read this (or listen to the audiobook, I kind of wish I had because I'm sure I was mispronouncing a lot of words in my head).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First They Killed My Father.

November 8, 2017 – Started Reading
November 8, 2017 – Shelved
page 15
page 36
15.13% ""I jump and fall into the water, pulling Chou with me, who is still holding on tight to Ma's hand. When I resurface, they are all laughing at me. I am happy to have all of us laughing together again." This is already so sad 😓"
page 40
page 70
page 100
page 105
44.12% ""This is what the war has done to me. Now I want to destroy because of it. There is such hate and rage inside me now. The Angkar has taught me to hate so deeply that I now know I have the power to destroy and kill."

I find myself forgetting that this is from the pov of a 6 year old girl. No child should feel like this, or have to go through this."
page 140
page 165
November 9, 2017 – Finished Reading
December 3, 2017 – Shelved as: books-that-made-me-ugly-cry
December 3, 2017 – Shelved as: diverse-books

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Dora (new) - added it

Dora I am very interested in reading this. Thanks for putting it on my feed!