Miranda Reads's Reviews > The Sleeper and the Spindle

The Sleeper and the Spindle by Neil Gaiman

it was ok
bookshelves: reimagined-fairytales, audiobook

I've read so many versions of fairy tales that it takes a really interesting spin(dle) (ha) for me to enjoy.

Unfortunately, this was not the case

The best part - how Gaiman takes the fairy tale characters and weaves them into a new-old story.
“You don’t need princes to save you. I don’t have a lot of patience for stories in which women are rescued by men."
Yes, there's a sleeping beauty but she's nothing is like the original story. Yes, there's a Snow White, but gone is the calm Disney gal.
Learning how to be strong, to feel her own emotions and not another's, had been hard; but once you learned the trick of it, you did not forget.
However.... the whole story had a very lackluster feel to it.

Maybe it's because I've read too many versions of fairytales but I just wasn't wowed.

It has too many lines like this:
But the path to her death, heartbeat by heartbeat, would be inevitable.
or this:
It would be the end of her life, she decided, if life was a time of choices.
which (of course) made everything ridiculously and overwhelmingly dramatic... which is one sure way to take me out of the story.

And I didn't feel the romance - for some reason,
I went on thinking that this would be a lesbian retelling of sleeping beauty. Boy was I wrong.

I really wanted to see that build/emotional development and the was absolutely nothing. Hugely disappointed.

Overall, this one was alright. Annnd that's about as positive as I can get.

Audiobook Comments
Read by Neil Gaiman and (as always) he provides an excellent audio rendition

Blog | Instagram | Twitter

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sleeper and the Spindle.

Started Reading
October 30, 2017 – Finished Reading
November 7, 2017 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)

message 1: by KAS (new)

KAS Sorry this one did not wow you, Miranda :( Great, honest review! xox

message 2: by Tim (new)

Tim Slee Spin(dle)...oh, no, she didn’t...she did... as they say in Denmark tommeltot up (thumbsup) grrl!

Miranda Reads KAS wrote: "Sorry this one did not wow you, Miranda :( Great, honest review! xox"

Thanks :)

Miranda Reads Tim wrote: "Spin(dle)...oh, no, she didn’t...she did... as they say in Denmark tommeltot up (thumbsup) grrl!"

Lol, i saw an opportunity and i took it

message 5: by Susanne (new)

Susanne  Strong Sorry this was a disappointment Miranda! Great review!

message 6: by John (new)

John Lord I agree, I used to like fairy tales, and would love something gripping, but most bore me to tears, like The Language of Thorns, Wintersong, and A Court of Thorns and Roses.

Miranda Reads Susanne wrote: "Sorry this was a disappointment Miranda! Great review!"

Thank you!

message 8: by Miranda (last edited Jun 27, 2018 04:50AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Miranda Reads John wrote: "I agree, I used to like fairy tales, and would love something gripping, but most bore me to tears, like The Language of Thorns, Wintersong, and A Court of Thorns and Roses."

Do any retellings not bore you to tears?

Bara You didn't find any romance in this story because there is none. SW may have kissed the witch but it wasn't out of love, she simply broke the curse. She may find the witch physically attractive but at the same time she's repulsed because the girl/woman reminds her of her own terrible stepmother.

Miranda Reads Yeahhh.... but from the way it was marketed did make it seem like there was supposed to be romance. Sigh.

message 11: by Rusty (new)

Rusty Grey Great review Miranda!! Hope your next Gaiman read is better . 😀

Amber I liked it. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it. There are tons of other Neil Gaiman books to enjoy. Like the graveyard book is his version of the Jungle book and stardust is pretty good too.

Miranda Reads Rusty wrote: "Great review Miranda!! Hope your next Gaiman read is better . 😀"

Thanks - and me too!

Miranda Reads Amber wrote: "I liked it. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it. There are tons of other Neil Gaiman books to enjoy. Like the graveyard book is his version of the Jungle book and stardust is pretty good too."

I really liked the Graveyard Book and Stardust, though Coraline will always be a personal favorite :) Do you have a fave Gaiman?

message 15: by Bara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bara Graveyard book and Good Omens are stellar. Coraline is great if not a personal favorite. I didn't like Stardust at all. Too dull and tedious for me. On the other hand I really like The Sleeper and the spindle. Oh and UnFortunately the milk. It's childish but funny.

Miranda Reads Yes, yes yes! I liked the illustrated version of Stardust - that book was something different :)

I really liked American Gods as well (though i think the sequel kinda sucked). And good omens was hilarious!

Amber I love the Graveyard book. I think that is my fave Gaiman book.

Miranda Reads That was a really good one :)