Miranda Reads's Reviews > Eleanor & Park

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

bookshelves: audiobook

I want everyone to meet you. You're my favorite person of all time.
Replace "person" with "book" and you know how I feel. This book just swept me off my feet

We have Eleanor, "Big Red," the new girl in town.

Her home life is in shambles - she's the oldest of her siblings and she's developed enough that her stepfather has started noticing. (Yes, you read that right).

We have Park, half-Asian in a town full of whites, who's the coolest kid in his school.

His life is not going to plan - his younger brother constantly shows him up, his father is never proud and his mother just doesn't get American high school.

One fateful meeting on a crowded bus sparked it all.

As Eleanor dithered from seat to seat, trying to find a spot when Park takes pity on her:
“Sit down." He said it came out angrily. The girl turned him like she couldn't tell whether he was another jerk or what.
"Jesus-Fuck," Park said softly, nodding to the space next to him, "just sit down."
Definitely NOT a typical YA romance. (Thank goodness).

This romance was grounded - it was crass (in the right sort of way) and sweet (but not saccharine).

I loved how love wasn't the end-all-be-all of life.

Eleanor and Park's romance is the kind that has you clutching the book, kicking your feet and squealing in relief at their happiness.
“No matter what happens," Park said, "I love you.”
Audiobook Comments
Read by Rebecca Lowman and Sunil Malhotra - they did an absolutely fabulous job with the narration.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eleanor & Park.

Started Reading
March, 2017 – Finished Reading
November 7, 2017 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)

message 1: by Diane (new)

Diane Wallace Wonderful review, Miranda! 'Happy 2018' :)

Miranda Reads Thank you! Happy new year's eve

Rachel Aranda Yes to all that is this review! I loved this book! Even the audiobook was fantastic! It was my first Rainbow Rowell book and I'm so glad I chose it. Definitely need to read more of her work.

Miranda Reads I really enjoy Rowell's style of writing. Have you read anything else by her?

JV (semi-hiatus) A lovely review, Miranda! :)

Miranda Reads Thank you! !

message 7: by KAS (new)

KAS I love YA and this one sure does sound good, Miranda ;) Glad to,hear it isn’t a typical romance. Terrific review!! xox

Chrissie Miranda wrote: "I loved how love wasn't the end-all-be-all of life. "

I agree so much. (view spoiler)

Great review!

Holly I agree, the narration is just perfection!

message 10: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna One of my very very very all time favorites.

Miranda Reads KAS wrote: "I love YA and this one sure does sound good, Miranda ;) Glad to,hear it isn’t a typical romance. Terrific review!! xox"

Thank you! It's so refreshing!

Miranda Reads Chrissie wrote: "Miranda wrote: "I loved how love wasn't the end-all-be-all of life. "

I agree so much.

Great review!"

Agreed. Though i want the ending to be a bit more solid but like you said, the realism really made this book shine

Miranda Reads Holly wrote: "I agree, the narration is just perfection!"

Yaaaaaas!

Miranda Reads Anna wrote: "One of my very very very all time favorites."

Awwweesome :)

Whitney I love Rainbow Rowell. It’s refreshing to see a YA author who doesn’t rush romances and who doesn’t equate sex with love :) so well written, too.

message 16: by Asha (new) - added it

Asha Seth What a perfectly ecstatic review! Just shows how much you enjoyed it. Adding it to my TBR right away.

Miranda Reads Whitney wrote: "I love Rainbow Rowell. It’s refreshing to see a YA author who doesn’t rush romances and who doesn’t equate sex with love :) so well written, too."

Oh my gosh. Yes. So much yes. I'm so sick of the "love"-then-sex trope in ya

Miranda Reads Asha wrote: "What a perfectly ecstatic review! Just shows how much you enjoyed it. Adding it to my TBR right away."

Woohoo!

message 19: by Jess (new)

Jess at JessicaWrites.co.uk Aaaah you've just made me want to read this book!

Miranda Reads Hooray! It's SUCH a good one!

Jessica One of my absolutely favorites!!

Miranda Reads omg me too!!

message 23: by Tucker (new)

Tucker I just finished Fangirl. Maybe this will be my next audio.

Miranda Reads Oooo! Fangirl was so much fun!

Leigh-Anne I read this years ago and really liked it....however I was just listening to Anne Bogel's "What Should I Read Next" and the guess hated this book and it was so interesting to hear why! I felt kind of guilty!

Miranda Reads Ooo! Do tell - why did the book get so much hate??

Leigh-Anne The guest said that it was racist and the kind that is quiet and let go but very impactful towards kids of different races and ethnicities. She said that the author really did a disservice and some of the comments in the book are what kids would say to her in school growing up. It was interesting.

Miranda Reads Hmmm...I might have to check it out. It seems like the guest had a completely opposite reaction than I did.

I really enjoyed this one because (for once) a book set in the past wasn't completely about race.

So many books deal with the hard-hitting racial prejudices. And it's not like we don't need books like that, it's just most of the time the characters are miserable and everything is ruined because people can't stop being racist.

I found it really, really nice to have a book where the kids were of different races but that wasn't the most important part of the story and the different races don't impact the story negatively. It felt refreshing.

message 29: by Tucker (new)

Tucker Miranda wrote: "Oooo! Fangirl was so much fun!"

Yeah, it was

message 30: by Monica (new)

Monica This book made me squeal when I read it during a tough time in my life and now, years later, my younger sister read it and she is giddy and squealing over it. I am 10 years older than her and it's the kind of book that transcends age. We loved it equally. It's nice when a book is written so that adults and pre-teens can enjoy it together.

Miranda Reads That is absolutely amazing! I think I need to get my sister to read it now!

Beverly All my sisters and nieces read it!

Miranda Reads Oh, that it AWESOME! Did they like it?

Foulser Erika lire c'est rêver les yeux ouvers....

Foulser Erika reading means dreaming with your eyes open...

Miranda Reads Sounds wonderful

Mayke (acozyliving)☕️ Great review! Haven't read this book. Might pick this one up as a summer read.

Angela This one was a phenomenal read!

message 39: by Erica (new) - added it

Erica L. looking forward to reading this on my down time

message 40: by LostKnight (new) - added it

LostKnight This sounds great. Thanks for the review.

Miranda Reads Mayke (acozyliving)☕️ wrote: "Great review! Haven't read this book. Might pick this one up as a summer read."

Totally should! It's a lovely summer romance

Miranda Reads Angela wrote: "This one was a phenomenal read!"

Totally agree!

Miranda Reads Erica wrote: "looking forward to reading this on my down time"

Omg yes. It's such a good book!

Miranda Reads LostKnight wrote: "This sounds great. Thanks for the review."

It totally was! Definitely check it out!

Foteini I loved, loved, loved this book!!!

Miranda Reads Totally agree Foteini!

message 47: by Kat (new)