Miranda Reads's Reviews > Over Your Dead Body

Over Your Dead Body by Dan Wells

bookshelves: ya-series

"I promised a friend I'd walk through hell to get her back," I said. "Don't make me bring you with me."
I motherfudging love this series

Meet John Wayne Cleaver - my absolute favorite psychopath - he's got all the hallmarks of a serial killer: He loves torturing, he's fascinated with dead bodies and fantasizes about killing his friends and family.

BUT WAIT - Don't turn away.

Ever since he was aware of his tendencies, he's made the conscious effort to resist any and all serial killer behaviors. He has a complicated set of rules and regulations designed to keep him from falling into the habits and patterns of a psychopath.

Only, it's becoming more and more difficult to resist. Especially because his job depends on those skills.

There's these horrifyingly fascinating creatures (the Withered). Their name comes from how they were reborn. In order to gain supernatural powers, they had to give something up. (i.e. "Nobody" gave up her body for immortality but now she's forced to snatch and steal bodies at random).

John plans to eliminate every. last. one.

He has his best friend Brooke along for company, but she's nearly as unhinged as him (after a close encounter with Nobody causing her brain to be a bit scrambled). It's up to the two of them to get rid of the Withered, but what are the odds that they can defeat thousand-year-old monsters?

As you may have guessed, I adore this series. The author really does such an amazing job bringing about that emotional connection between the reader and the main characters (which is no easy feat considering John doesn't have emotions).
I used to never feel bad about anything, but now... Well, that's not true. I used to feel bad all the time. I guess the difference is that now, sometimes, I felt good, and the contrast made the bad times that much worse.

YouTube | Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Snapchat @miranda.reads

Happy Reading!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Over Your Dead Body.

Started Reading
March 6, 2017 – Finished Reading
November 7, 2017 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by murphy ✌ (new)

murphy ✌ (daydreamofalife) I'd never heard of this series, but this review alone makes me wanna check it out!

Miranda Reads You definitely should! The first books just completely consumed me.

message 3: by A. (new)

A. Olesiewicz Great review! You really got me at "BUT WAIT- don't turn away..." it wasn't what I would have expected, but sounds interesting, when you put it like that! Might have to look this one up...

Miranda Reads A. wrote: "Great review! You really got me at "BUT WAIT- don't turn away..." it wasn't what I would have expected, but sounds interesting, when you put it like that! Might have to look this one up..."

Omg omg omg yes. This is one of the few series that i try to push everyone to try. I Just love it so much :)

EmilyViolet I'm so glad you love this series too! I can't wait for for book six, but am simultaneously terrified for it... IF JOHN DIES, I SHALL TOO

Miranda Reads EmilyViolet wrote: "I'm so glad you love this series too! I can't wait for for book six, but am simultaneously terrified for it... IF JOHN DIES, I SHALL TOO"

Oh gosh. OH GOSH - i hadn't even considered my fave psycho dying. I'm not emotionally prepared.

message 7: by Eli (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eli San Ya Is there other book? The number 6?

Miranda Reads Eli wrote: "Is there other book? The number 6?"

I think it was just published. I haven't had a chance to read it yet