Angel 's Reviews > Linchpin: Are You Indispensable?

Linchpin by Seth Godin

190365
Oct 01, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: business-and-economics, leadership, library_science, work-and-management

Gets three stars because "I liked it," but I did not "really like it." When I started it, I thought much of the content would be statements of the obvious. And there are quite a few of those in this book. But Godin also provides some things to think about, including a thing or two that librarians can learn. I did find myself taking notes from the book now and then, and I will likely post some of those in my blog later. At the moment, I just wanted to get a quick review in so I can mark the book as "read" and move on.

The theme of being an artist is pretty prominent in the book. This does not mean painters, sculptors, etc. per se. Rather, it refers to those folks "with a genius for finding a new answer, a new connection, or a new way of getting things done" (8). These folks are the linchpins of organizations, and while Godin says that they are (or should be) valued and thus command a better salary, so on. Yet the reality is that this is not always the case. Just look at the current economy, not to mention the way many companies mistreat workers to see the evidence contrary to Godin's idealism. I think that is a bit of a problem with the book; the guy is just too idealistic at times. For instance, he often talks about pushing your luck and breaking the rules. If you can afford to do so like him because you are pretty much self-employed, all good and dandy. Try doing that in a restrictive work environment, and you will be given a pink slip. Job loss these days is not a light matter, and no, getting fired does not always mean "it was fate" and something better will come along. As I said, the guy makes some good points, but much of the book is pie-in-the-sky.

Having made the point about much of the book being a bit too optimistic, as I mentioned, the book does make some good points. I would recommend scanning it, finding the good stuff, and skipping the rest. He does have some inspirational stuff for people to try out that is worth considering at least. I know I got some good ideas. So, skim this one. Besides, he can get a bit repetitive, so again, skimming may be best.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Linchpin.

October 1, 2011 – Shelved
October 3, 2011 – Started Reading
October 3, 2011 –
page 29
11.89% "Godin says, "Take the risk you might make someone upset with your initiative, innovation, and insight--it turns out that you'll probably delight them instead." Or, as in many workplaces I know, it could actually get you ostracized or fired. I think at times Godin is a bit much head in the clouds."
October 3, 2011 –
page 38
15.57% "Probably why I get in trouble. Godin writes, "We've been taught not to care about our job or our customers." I simply cannot accept that, so when some boss goes for that malarkey, and I resist, friction happens. I don't care about the b.s. I do care about my job and taking care of my students (my customers)."
page 74
30.33% "Very intrigued by how IDEO hires people. I wonder if it is an exercise I should try out sometime. I think it could help me when I go back on the market."
page 106