Charlotte May's Reviews > S.T.A.G.S

S.T.A.G.S by M.A. Bennett

liked it
bookshelves: contemporary-recent, crime-mystery-thriller, ya

3.5 ⭐️

I must admit I was expecting more from this YA thriller.
Greer has just received a scholarship to the prestigious S.T.A.G.S boarding school. As expected though, she doesn't fit in. These kids are the ultimate in privilege; years and years of entitlement and 'Old money' have led to a 'mean girls' like group known as medievals.

When Greer receives an invitation from the most popular boy in school to go to his family estate for the weekend, she is beyond excited. Maybe finally she can make some friends and be included.

However, she soon realises that what the medievals have in mind is far more sinister than she could have ever imagined.

I had a couple of minor gripes. The first is quite petty, but I stand by it. Authors who don't do their research - or just simply use the wrong information. So, the invitation for Greer was to go to Henry's estate Longcross over half term weekend. 1. Half term is a whole week not a weekend.
2. The author then refers to the 'bank holiday Monday'. There are no bank holidays over the Autumn term in the UK. Our last bank holiday before Christmas is August, so this just doesn't fit. #sorrynotsorry

My other issue was with the main character herself. Greer is a film buff (fair enough) but she uses every waking moment to compare something that is happening to a scene from a film. I love a film reference as much as the next person, but definitely not that many. There is no way the average reader will have watched the number of films she name drops throughout this book - there are absolutely loads.
Second issue with Greer, she calls herself a feminist (which is awesome) but then she says things like "I'm letting down feminism because I worried about what to wear" or "feminism stood a step backward because the first thing I thought when I saw him was that he was hot.". This is just NOT what feminism is. Feminism DOES NOT CARE if you think someone is hot or if you care about what you wear. There is nothing wrong with that!! Feminism is about equality for all, and when people mistake caring about how they look with not being a feminist then we have a problem.

Overall, this was an entertaining read. A few parts I didn't really feel added up, and a few times I had to suspend my disbelief. But the twist at the end pushed my rating up by half a star and I might check out the sequel when it comes out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read S.T.A.G.S.

November 7, 2017 – Shelved
November 7, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
November 8, 2017 – Shelved as: own-tbr
February 21, 2019 – Started Reading
February 21, 2019 –
page 1
0.34% "Sometimes I get a bit “fantasied out” (I know I can’t believe that actually happens) and need a change of genre. I’m excited to see how this one goes 😁"
February 23, 2019 –
page 21
7.24% " “I wonder what the collective name for murderers is. It can’t be a ‘murder’, since the crows took that one. Maybe a conspiracy.” "
February 24, 2019 – Shelved as: ya
February 24, 2019 – Shelved as: crime-mystery-thriller
February 24, 2019 – Shelved as: contemporary-recent
February 24, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Paula (new)

Paula Kalin Terrific review, Charlotte!

Charlotte May Paula wrote: "Terrific review, Charlotte!"

message 3: by Holly (new)

Holly The feminism thing annoys me so much, both in books and in real life.

Charlotte May @Holly: I know right! Best not to mention it at all rather than give it a bad name by portraying it incorrectly