Melanie's Reviews > Cracked Kingdom

Cracked Kingdom by Erin Watt

it was ok
bookshelves: contemporary, new-adult, romance, read-in-2018, buddy-reads, paloma

1.) Paper Princess ★★★
2.) Broken Prince ★★
3.) Twisted Palace ★★
4.) Fallen Heir ★★

You all can clearly see that this series has been disappointing me for a little while now, but this installment was really the Lord testing me, I swear. Which is so damn sad, because Easton is truly my favorite in this whole unbelievable family drama.

“God created a billion men, developed the perfect face, and stuck it on Easton Royal.”

The Royal series is a new adult romance series that features a family that has five incredibly rich, extremely privileged, and obviously super-hot boys. The first trilogy starred the second to oldest brother, Reed, and a girl named Ella who comes into the brother’s lives. Well, now Reed is off at college, and the new story arc belongs to the middle brother, Easton. And he fell for a girl named Hartley in Fallen Heir, even though she feels so very off limits because of everything going on in her life.

But with the cliffhanger ending that Fallen Heir gave us, I was thinking a million things when starting this. And guess what? None of them were true. Which already started the book off to be a disappointment, but then we got one of my least favorite storyline tropes of all time (view spoiler)! Hartley became so annoying that I just wanted to put the book down a million times. And why she would believe everyone but Easton was something I still can’t even wrap my head around.

“Me dating Easton Royal is about as likely as me hooking up with one of the members of BTS—in other words, not likely at all.”

And normally these books are super sexy, but there is legit only one sex scene in this book and it’s mediocre at best. Instead of this being a sexy, angsty, love story we get an even more unrealistic book that slut shames constantly. Also, I get that Easton was being playful, but when he kept joking with Hartley about him being a virgin, and it being his first time, I wanted to stab him.

And when I say unrealistic, it is the understatement of the year. I mean, these books are already so drama-filled and unbelievable, but Cracked Kingdom really somehow made it even worse. From unbelievable parental lineage, to the most vile and random side character, to pointless school bullying, this book has it all.

And major trigger and content warnings for: serious events in a hospital setting, sexual harassment, verbal abuse constantly, physical abuse between students, extreme bullying, parental abuse (physical, emotional, verbal), underage drinking, drug use, and talk of overdosing.

Oh, and this is just a personal gripe, but the computer hacker character was one big mash up of every stereotype you could imagine, Doritos included, and I’m not sure if anything in literature has made my eyes roll further back into my head.

And from the last chapter of this book, you just know that Erin Watt isn’t done with this world. And honestly? I can’t keep doing this to myself. And I already hate the set up for the next storyline.

(view spoiler)

Overall, I’m just done. You know, I know I have masochistic tendencies, but I can’t keep doing this to myself. I need to stop remembering how much I loved the Off-Campus series and realize that this series just isn’t for me. But if you all like the most improbable story lines in your new adult romance, then I completely recommend The Royal Series!

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch

Buddy read with Julie, Paloma, & Amy! ❤

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cracked Kingdom.

November 6, 2017 – Shelved
April 26, 2018 – Shelved as: read-in-2018
April 26, 2018 – Shelved as: buddy-reads
April 27, 2018 – Finished Reading
June 25, 2019 – Shelved as: paloma

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

message 1: by Cindy S. (new)

Cindy S. Why are you doing this to yourself ?

Melanie Cindy S. wrote: "Why are you doing this to yourself ?"

I'm sick, Cindy. 🙈💛

MichellemyBelle 😱

message 4: by Arifat (new)

Arifat Ola-Dauda Lol, I stopped reading this series at book 3, never even finished the third book 😂😂😂.

message 5: by Amy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Amy Risner I can’t even bring myself to finish my review yet. Blerggggggggg

message 6: by lacy (new) - added it

lacy white I'm such trash for this series and I can't help it. lol. I know they are pretty problematic. Easton was my favorite Royal. I hope I like the book. Excellent review as always! :D

message 7: by Hannah (new)

Hannah I binge read the first three but stopped at Easton's story. The books had progressively gotten worse and I figured a fourth one wouldn't be any better. Although I do really like Easton; he's the same sort of lovable goofball as Emmett from Twilight and Cassian from ACOTAR.

Melanie Arifat wrote: "Lol, I stopped reading this series at book 3, never even finished the third book 😂😂😂."

Arifat, I wish I took a page from your book! Here I am, just dragging myself at this point! Hahah! Happy May and happy reading, love! 💖xx

Melanie Amy wrote: "I can’t even bring myself to finish my review yet. Blerggggggggg"

Hahaha! But boiiiii am I excited for when you do! 💖xx

Melanie lacy [a ravenclaw library] wrote: "I'm such trash for this series and I can't help it. lol. I know they are pretty problematic. Easton was my favorite Royal. I hope I like the book. Excellent review as always! :D"

You have to talk with me after you read this one! But happy May and happy reading, babe! 💖xx

Melanie Hannah wrote: "I binge read the first three but stopped at Easton's story. The books had progressively gotten worse and I figured a fourth one wouldn't be any better. Although I do really like Easton; he's the sa..."

Hahaha! I love the Cassian parallel! And if you ever pick this one up, you have to come talk to me! Happy May and happy reading, love! 💖xx

message 12: by Mary (new)

Mary I feel you so much. I called it quits after book 2 and it stinks to see it's sunk so low. Hopefully your next read is much, MUCH better. xx

MischaS_ Wow! I cannot agree more with this. Absolutely spot on!
Also, the author said that they are finished with Royals. Which is surprising because honestly after book 5 there so many loose ends that it's not even funny. They should have stopped with this series after book 3.

message 14: by Prong (new)

Prong  Praison I'm impressed that you seems to not like it so much by giving only 2 stars for almost every books in the series, but still continue reading it.

Melissa De Wilde I like the first 3 books about Ella & Reed. I liked 3.5 about Gideon & Savannah. Hartley and Easton are not that intetesting to me! And the bullying is something that pisses me off like crazy! Going to start this Final book now. Mainly cause I've invested all this time in the series...