Charity's Reviews > The Devil in Silver

The Devil in Silver by Victor LaValle

it was ok
bookshelves: scary

Pepper doesn't belong in the psych ward, yet here he is, forced to face his assumptions about mental illness and a literal monster that roams the halls at night.

This is a solid so-so. It's amusing enough, but it feels loose, unpolished. I fear that Lavalle is using "but they're crazy" to excuse some inconsistencies in the characters. The novel does a good job, though, of capturing the Catch-22 that is mental healthcare in the US.

I will also note that Lavalle uses a variation on the term "bleed out" twice in this novel. This is developing into a pet peeve...authors seem to use this term so much, and I can't figure out why except maybe that it's pseudo-technical and feels kind of like insider language. Maybe it's kind of like the feeling one gets when using big words (or maybe that's just me). Not that the term alone is going to turn me off on a novel any more than a split infinitive (also a pet peeve) is going to, it's just a pebble in my shoe.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil in Silver.

November 4, 2017 – Shelved