LARRY's Reviews > Understanding the Language of the Deaf World

liked it
bookshelves: academics, asl_stuff, deaf-world
Read in June, 2008

As posted in [http://www.amazon.com]:

This book is filled with different articles that addresses different aspects of the Deaf-World. Such topics that addressed are hearing loss, American Sign Language, interpreting, humor, history and the like.

While I found this book to be helpful for wanting to learn about the Deaf community, I was a little bothered the choice to open up with a pathological viewpoint. I guess the editor felt that it was a good start as any except that it's a conflict. The Deaf community does not view itself as a disabled minority but rather a linguistic minority. The book opens with hearing losses/degrees and audiology. Therefore, a reader would read with the mindset that the Deaf people are constantly "haunted" by their lack of a sense, when they are not.

Other than that, I found the other articles to be beneficial for ASL and Interpreting students. In fact, there are information in this book that are rarely found in other introductory textbooks.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Understanding the Language of the Deaf World.