Melinda Irvine's Reviews > The Map That Contains Us

The Map That Contains Us by Marla Miniano

Having lived enough time in the Philippines to want to read some poetry and fiction by contemporary Philippine writers, this was an excellent beginning. I loved this little book.

The scattered illustrations, micro-poetry, and GPS co-ordinates all create a journey. A journey to the places of the heart, mind and spirit; every place we have visited that has touched us or changed us in some way. Each poem in the voyage is narrated in first person except (interestingly) Queens (a tale of domestic violence and the possibility of survival), which is relayed in third person.

My favourite poems were Rizal Lib (I was lost in my own library of unfinished books); Yamanote (a haunting look at the randomness and inconvenience of death at an underground subway); and Matong (a tribute really to the simplicity of traditional Filipino life).

Next time I'm in the city I'm going buy some more copies of this book to place under the Christmas Tree inside bright coloured papers. It's little books like this that reinforce the nature of our humanness, our connectedness and the neighbours in all of us; I think I'll take a copy to my friends in Australia on my next visit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Map That Contains Us.

November 4, 2017 – Started Reading