Thee_ron_clark's Reviews > Way of the Barefoot Zombie

Way of the Barefoot Zombie by Jaspre Bark

Sep 30, 2011

bookshelves: zombies
Read in September, 2011

Yet another novel from the Tomes of the Dead series seeks to add some new flare to the overwhelming number of zombie books being written nowadays. This novel mixes the two main types of zombies (Romero-style flesh eaters and the Hoodoo/Voodoo variety) into one interesting novel with a new take on the subgenre without moving too far away from the bits that most of us zombie people are into.

A couple wealthy young adults get a substantial amount of money from their parents to embark on a ceremony known as the Way of the Barefoot Zombie. The ceremony takes place on a secluded island with enough wealth and political connections attached to it to not only keep it off the map but to avoid the prying eyes of those who might not like what they find. Our protagonists have an ulterior motive in their journey; to free the zombie inhabitants of the island.

This novel brings us into a world similar to our own, only where flesh eating cadavers walk the earth and are known about by the populace. Although outbreaks occur, they are managed and no pandemic has occurred from them. Aside from that, it appears to be a business as usual version of reality with fat cats who just cannot seam to get fat enough and misguided youth.

This novel reads through pretty fast, making it a pleasant read. It also gives a lot of insight and information on the practices of Voodoo and Hoodoo, as well as their connections to Christianity.

I felt that one of the main characters was a bit hollow to be honest, but it did not overly affect this story. I suppose not being too character-driven gives some sway in that aspect.

All in all, this is a decent read that I recommend to all my fellow zombie enthusiasts out there and on here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Way of the Barefoot Zombie.