Lexie's Reviews > Guilty as Sin

bookshelves: first-in-series

Guys.
Guys!
GUYS!

I found a new book boyfriend. His name his Jace and gosh he's Aussie and sweet and tempting and man alive :fans face:.

I really enjoyed this. I went in because I always enjoy twins switching places in romance, but Jace is so wonderful and Paige is my kind of heroine.

---

Twins switching places in books is one of my favorite tropes. Mostly because its adjacent to my OTHER favorite trope of alternate universe selves trading places. Which in and of itself is adjacent to my ultimate favorite trope of the "What If...?" principle. So James got my attention quickly. I already knew I liked James' writing, from her New Zealand romances and this sounded just light enough to engage me.

Slight spoiler, this isn't QUITE as light-hearted as you might think.

From the get go I liked Paige. I liked that she wasn't above manipulating her sister when she felt it was for her sister's own good, I liked that she put her sister's happiness above her own discomfort, I liked that she was practical. Well as practical as one could be when you consider how totally not prepared for it all.

Jace was the kind of romance hero perfect that you want to dislike because he's perfect, but you can't. We spend a lot more time on Paige's imperfections then we do with Jace's, so even though the beginning sounds like he has just as many demons to exorcise as Paige does, you never really get that feeling. He mentions he has trouble sleeping, but we don't see that because he's peaceful with Paige around. He mentions having trouble committing because he's gotten hurt before, but he seems very committed to Paige early on so his internal "this is dangerous be careful" dialogue is easily dismissed (and indeed I did roll my eyes several times).

Paige though, she was easier to relate to when it came to why she didn't want to commit. Aside from the fact that for much of the book Jace thinks she's her sister, she's always been the responsible one. The one who takes charge of a situation to make sure everyone she cares about comes out of it happier. Later in the book she explains why she felt a need to become a cop, why it was so important to her, and while I appreciated that story, James had written her so perfectly aligned that the story was just icing to a character I understood quite well.

Which is something Jace understood too. He calls her out, demanding she be just as honest with herself as she was being with him. He doesn't want her to just "be happier" so she will be with him, he wants her to work through her demons so that she can be as strong for herself as she is for others. In return Paige tries and in the Epilogue we read about how they've been trying hard to find a way to make it all work. I especially liked the fact that Jace understood that Lily being a part of everything was important to Jace.

(view spoiler)

That all said, I'm looking forward to the next book involving (view spoiler). Though I wouldn't mind reading about Paige and Jace running around solving crimes while vacationing either. They're like tailor made for their own Detective Agency.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guilty as Sin.

November 2, 2017 – Shelved