Rachel's Reviews > Murder on the Orient Express

Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie

I really enjoyed this classic Agatha Christie mystery! This was my second Christie novel (I read And Then There Were None years and years ago, but plan on rereading it soon), but was my first Hercule Poirot mystery. My reason for finally getting around to it now was because of the new movie that came out about a week ago — which I really need to go see ASAP!

In true mystery novel form, there wasn’t much character development or background stories — except for what was needed to move the plot along. This was okay with me because character development is not the main focus of most mysteries. I haven’t read a classic “whoddunit” mystery in quite some time, and I found it refreshing!

I enjoyed the way that the book was structured: most chapters were dedicated to the evidence of the passengers, in which Poirot would interview the suspect. This moved the story along in my opinion, but I could see how some readers might find it a bit repetitive.

I felt that Poirot made some miraculous leaps and guesses when solving the mystery and, even though he ended up being right, in the end, it was highly unlikely that a detective would have made the assumptions that he did. I suppose it’s possible, just not very probable.

Overall, I found this to be a quick, enjoyable read that was full of good old-fashioned murder, intrigue, and quite a bit of humor, and I highly recommend it!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Murder on the Orient Express.

November 2, 2017 – Shelved