Loopy's Reviews > Kushiel's Dart

Jun 20, 2007

bookshelves: favorite-re-reads
Recommended for: Romantic Politicos
Read in January, 2003

Although this book is somewhat notorious in fantasy circles for it's very racy inclusion of very sensuous sex scenes (the protagonist is both a professional courtesan and a divinely inspired submissive/masochist), that's not really the core of this book, and I urge you to try it for it's rich political, fantasy and adventure aspects.

Kushiel's Dart (and indeed, the entire Kushiel series) are set in a world only a few steps removed from our own, one that includes angels, kabbalism, rare magics and grand adventures. The characters are passionate and delightful to spend time with, and the sensual setting is sure to spark great visuals in your imagination.

Not for everyone - particularly those who don't have a very open mind regarding sexual mores - but if you enjoyed Dangerous Liasons, you'll love these books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kushiel's Dart.

Jason Gordon A friend turned me on to the first book and im already on the 6th one. It's great stuff, intrigue, politics, sex... And Joscelyn Verruil slicking through guys like a friggin cuisinart. LOVE IT.

Also considering taking up the worship of Blessed Elua and his companions. That's a seriously laid back and awesome religion!

Jason Gordon Another thing occurred to me... Carey's a genius. She's managed to make the French (aka D'angelines) look cool. And in the person of Joscelyn Verruil, total badasses. No mean feat!