Eileen Souza's Reviews > The Lady of the Rivers

The Lady of the Rivers by Philippa Gregory

Sep 30, 2011

bookshelves: europe, historical-fiction

This is the third novel in the Cousin's War series (following the White Queen and the Red Queen), and tells the story of Jacquetta of Luxembourg, the mother of Elizabeth Woodville, and grandmother of Elizabeth of York. I was initially really surprised that this book when back a generation, since I thought it was a trilogy - and I thought it would end with Elizabeth of York and Henry VII's story, but in fact there will be more books coming. The next one is on the Neville sisters, Isabel and Anne. I just have to cross my fingers that we get one on Elizabeth of York eventually.

Jacquetta is a fascinating woman in history, and I'm quite surprised that no one(prior to Philippa) has ever done a historical biography on her. I have not read the non-fiction version that she published, but this fictional story was riveting. Imagine a French girl who is a descendant of a water goddess (and that part is actually historical "fact"), marries into the royal family of England, and is first woman of the English lands in France, is widowed, marries her squire for love, has 16 healthy children, is the best friend of the french Queen of England, fights for Lancaster, loses, then her daughter becomes Queen of England for York, and she again becomes one of the most important people in the country. Oh, and she's either a witch or has the Sight, depending on your perspective.

The story shows a very interesting view of Margaret of Anjou, and lets you see the causes that led to the War of the Roses - I have to say that I side with York here.

Interesting, absorbing, and can't wait for the next one!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lady of the Rivers.