Haleema's Reviews > Fateful

Fateful by Claudia Gray

liked it
bookshelves: great-writing, brilliant-story-telling, predictable, fast-paced

To be more accurate, I would like to rate this a 3.5!

Okay, I'm pretty fascinated by the Titanic incident back in 1912. I've researched quite a lot on it. I've watched Titanic 17394840 times (the reason behind it being that it came on HBO so many times). I'm also fascinated by werewolves. So when Gray smashed these two together, I went ballistic.

I was just like...

description

MAD.

Gray did a fantastic job with her research regarding the different classes on the Titanic. She did amazingly well on demonstrating the lives of servants and first class passengers. Her descriptions, word choices, and timing were almost perfect. It was like walking through a field of flowers. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Alec's descriptions were fantastic at first. However, every time he approached Tess, all she could think of were his "chestnut curls." I mean, his descriptions CAN go beyond that. What else? It was repetitive!

So I loved the writing, I loved the characters, I loved the concept of mixing Titanic and werewolves. So why did I rate it a 3.5? Because the whole "You make me human" thing is cliche. I didn't like it. At some points, I knew what was going to happen next. Alec saves Tess. He's the werewolf, blah blah blah. Nothing new. Also I felt like I could have known more about Tess. Some of her physical descriptions besides being tall and blonde. I would have liked to know more about her family. I also skipped some pages here and there. I couldn't help it. I just wasn't as interested as I was at the beginning of the book. However, I feel like I understand the basic plot of it.

Anyway, good book!

By the way: The cover for this version is so gorgeous! The other one was okay... Meh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fateful.

September 30, 2011 – Shelved
March 7, 2012 – Started Reading
March 7, 2012 – Shelved as: great-writing
March 7, 2012 –
page 150
45.73% "Hmmm. I like it so far. I love the writing! Damn, Alec's descriptions are good. However, they're getting a bit repetitive with his... chestnut curls."
March 8, 2012 –