Bree's Reviews > peluda

peluda by Melissa Lozada-Oliva

5120759

One of the things I love most about poetry is the way it lets you see dive into someone’s brain. It’s truly I think one of the most raw and open types of writing. Melissa’s book was no exception. She really laid it all out there for us. Every part of her. The messy, the uncomfortable, and even the “socially not talked about.” It really made this book special.

We were really able to step into her shoes. Now although I’m sure a lot of people read the back of the book and hear what it’s about and get turned off. Most likely because they don’t find it relatable right off the bat. Probably because they scare easy to all things “women” or because the don’t think they can relate to another culture that isn’t theirs. I would encourage them to take a chance and see the world a new way. You might just learn something.

I loved this book. I loved the way it felt like I was seeing things I way I hadn’t before, but also finding those moments were I was like “amen.” I know exactly what she’s saying. That’s the way a book should feel. It should make the world feel a little bit smaller. Reminding us aren’t all that different from each other. This is really a special collection of work.

Oh and of course the cover is absolutely stunning.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read peluda.

November 1, 2017 – Started Reading