Dija's Reviews > Insurgent

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Sep 30, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: buddy-slash-group-read, may-2012, could-have-been-sooo-much-better, great-disappointment, meh, my-reviews, read-in-2012, waste-of-anticipation-energy, ya, wtf-abkjkad, everyone-loved-but-dija
Recommended to Dija by: Buddy read with Jenn
Recommended for: Fans of teenage angst.
Read in May, 2012

My overall impression of Insurgent is mostly bipolar - on one hand, I believe this was the only possible sequel to Divergent. On the other though, I feel almost cheated by what became of one of my favorite YA heroines and series. The latter is the more dominant of the two, and hence the low rating.

Firstly, the brave, sweet Tris I fell in love with in Divergent is replaced by an angsty heroine in Insurgent who is a complete STRANGER to me. What happened to my precious baby?? I realize murder and war and the works have quite an impact on people's personalities, and I can understand Tris's anguish and depression, but letting it influence everything she does, to the point where she's making rash and careless and selfish decisions and pushing everyone who cares about her away - that just doesn't sit right with me. I seriously expected more from her.

Secondly, I had to force myself to finish this. The plot wasn't boring, but since I was so puzzled by the characters' behavior, I couldn't really bring myself to read this in two sittings, like I did Divergent, and it had nothing to do with a lack of free time. Although I do admit that there were nearly as many "OMG-WTF-just-happened" moments in Insurgent as there were in Divergent, but where I was impressed by them in the first book, I was mostly unpleasantly surprised by them in this one.

Another thing I absolutely didn't like? How Four (I refuse to call him Tobias) never seemed to understand Tris and that she needed love and gentleness after going through all that she did, not somebody to keep pushing her to the limit. After witnessing the chemistry and natural connection between the two in Divergent and how Roth promised there wouldn't be a love triangle, I was sure Tris and Four would become one of my most favorite couples in YA, once they actually got together. But while there were quite a few melty-gooey moments, they were greatly outnumbered by the moments I actually cringed inside by how crassly Four handled Tris.

Still, I hope all of the above is just because this was the second book and Roth is saving all the great relationship development and intrigue for the next and final book, because otherwise, I am very, very disappointed with what became of one of my most-anticipated releases of the year.

For more reviews, visit my blog.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Insurgent.

05/04/2012 page 2
0.0% "I really don't like the name Tobias. :/" 7 comments
05/04/2012 page 156
30.0% "I love the relationship between Tris and Four/Tobias! ♥" 13 comments
05/05/2012 page 278
53.0% "I am flabbergasted." 32 comments
05/05/2012 page 493
94.0% "I'm not sure I like this new Tris that makes such rash decisions, at the expense of so much." 1 comment
03/24/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Sabrina (new) - added it

Sabrina With a cherry on top? ;)

Dija Exactly! :D

message 3: by Jenn (new) - added it

Jenn Love this photo.. way cute. I can't believe this comes out tomorrow! FINALLY!

Dija I know! It's been ages since I read Divergent. I'm sososo excited for this! 8D

message 5: by Jenn (new) - added it

Jenn I'm jealous.. I may have to put all other books down for this...seriously debating it. But then I feel like i should read the first book all over again. You really have to keep us posted if you start this one ASAP. :o)

Dija I wish I could read this tomorrow, but I'll have to finish what I'm reading first. Would you like to buddy read it with me sometime this week or this weekend?

message 7: by Jenn (new) - added it

Jenn Love too!!! Just let me know when. :o)

Dija Yay! When would suit you? I think the weekend should be fine?

message 9: by Jenn (new) - added it

Jenn Okay good, I was just going to suggest this weekend too. I'm game starting Friday.

message 10: by Dija (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dija Cool! Can't wait. I missed Four so much! <3

message 11: by Jenn (new) - added it

Jenn Love me some Four. :o)

message 12: by Jenn (new) - added it

Jenn 2 more days!!! :o)

message 13: by Dija (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dija I can hardly wait!! It's becoming impossible to stay away from all the discussions on this.

message 14: by Jenn (new) - added it

Jenn So far, I've managed to not look. I'm hoping to keep that up with today through tomorrow.

message 15: by Dija (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dija I'm at an advantage, because my Friday will start sooner than yours. It's still not soon enough though! I can't wait~!!

message 16: by Jenn (new) - added it

Jenn Whats the time difference between you and me??

message 17: by Dija (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dija We're 12 hours ahead.

message 18: by Jenn (new) - added it

Jenn Well crud! lol I will have LOTS of catching up to you when I wake up. :o)

message 19: by Dija (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dija I'll try to delay reading it as much as possible, but no promises, because my resolve is ultra-weak when it comes to Four. ;)

message 20: by Jenn (new) - added it

Jenn LOL! It's okay I won't hold it against you if your resolve weakens. Mine would do the same if I had Four sitting in my hands beckoning me to read.

message 21: by Jenn (new) - added it

Jenn Ok Miss Dija! Did you start this one yet????? :o) I'm getting kids off to school then off I go!!

message 22: by Dija (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dija Not yet, I was waiting for you. Starting it now! :)

Aly is so frigging bored Have fun! I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

PS: That cover is great!

message 24: by Jenn (new) - added it

Jenn You are so nice to wait. I was thinking you would have said to heck with that woman I'm starting it early! LOL! The cover is super awesome!! Fingers and toes crossed.

Tiffany Loves Books Your review is spot on!

message 26: by Mariya (new)

Mariya WHAT?! 2 stars! I am seriously afraid to read this. I've been avoiding Insurgent!! OH, MAN! OH, MAN!

message 27: by Dija (last edited Jul 03, 2012 11:51AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dija If it were anybody else, I'd tell them they still might like it, etc. etc., but since it's you, Mariya, and we tend to rate and review similarly, I'm sorry if I can't find it in me to encourage you to read this. The most I can offer you is the average rating - 4.35.

message 28: by Mariya (new)

Mariya Makes me mad I bought it. It's like, first book was awesome so you're gonna assumer the second book will be. I found with a few of the second's to the debut's I liked from last year, that I was very disappointed. :/

I mite just give it a shot just to see since I bought it. I"ve seen lots of mixed reviews with Insurgent though that it keeps getting pushed back. :/

RSterling I have to admit I disliked Tris's dive to the crazy side. That was my only real issue with the book.

Sinai C. AGREE on Tris' and Tobias (I call him that because he doesn't deserve to be called Four anymore.) I was like 30 pages in and I could already tell I was dealing with different people here, and it just.kept.going!

message 31: by Jocelyn (new)

Jocelyn Oh my god, this review is wonderful. And yes! I REFUSE to call Four Tobias. No. Frickin. Way.

RSterling YES! EXACTLY! Jocelyn wrote: "Oh my god, this review is wonderful. And yes! I REFUSE to call Four Tobias. No. Frickin. Way."

message 33: by Ali (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ali couldn't agree with you more. I'm 3/4 way through this book, and I had to come on here to see if I was the only one feeling completely disappointed with it. Such a shame - Tris is annoying me so much in this book, every time she does something else completely stupid and reckless, i just feel like throwing the book across the room, ugh!

message 34: by Noel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Noel Yesssss. Tris is getting on my ever loving last nerve.

Mrs. Bradshaw Yes! Agree 100%

Hannah Wilborn YES! THANK YOU! THIS IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN SAYING THE ENTIRE TIME I READ THIS BOOK!!
OK, so first of all, can someone please explain to me what the heck is going on with Tris?? I'd like to say it was just character development, but you could hardly call it that. She basically transformed into a new person and frankly, I just find her whiny and annoying. Maybe she didn't like her hair cut and she's just bitter about it.
Secondly, can I just say that the amount of plot twists actually make me dizzy. It's ok to have a few here and there. But when the entire book is just one plot twist after another, we have a problem here.
And third, I feel like Veronica Roth is such an amazing writer. The eternal question is, what happened??