Gillian's Reviews > Just Like Honey

Just Like Honey by Ajax Bell

(please see Rafa's review if you want something comprehensive and intelligent; otherwise keep reading)

Full disclosure: I was fortunate enough to be a beta-reader for this book so you can take that into consideration when you read this.

I really enjoyed this book a lot. I think what Ajax Bell has done with this series as a whole is really lovely because they've given each book in the trilogy a different vibe, but still connected them through the characters and the setting.

Ryan Ikeda is a young, talented artist who has yet to make his mark on the Seattle art scene. His work, much like his relationship with boyfriend Ben, is at a bit of a standstill until an unexpected invitation to join a career-making art show forces him to confront what he desires most from his art and from his relationship.

I loved everything about Ryan and Ben, mostly because their relationship felt very real. Ryan uses his mistakes in a past relationship to avoid moving things forward with Ben, and Ben uses his very busy work and social life to avoid arguing about that with Ryan. But when they are in moments of detente, it's magic. The two men have an open relationship that works for them, sometimes sharing partners, sometimes not. But Ryan's unspoken desire - his need - to dominate Ben causes him to hold back a part of himself which only results in further misunderstandings. Fear not, they do get their HEA, but they do need to work for it first.

The side-characters here, especially Ryan's bf Vee, are all engaging and delightful. Plus it's nice to see some old friends from previous books make a few appearances. It's worth noting that Just Like Honey easily manages a diverse cast of characters, without making any of them feel like a stereotype. I can't tell you how refreshing that is.

While this book can be read as a standalone, I do suggest that you read Ajax Bell's other books in this series, if only because you'll be doing yourself a disservice if you don't. But either way, if you're looking for an engaging story and great characters, I think you'll enjoy this book as much as I did.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just Like Honey.

Started Reading