Bethany Kaczmarek's Reviews > Open Minds

Open Minds by Susan Kaye Quinn

Sep 29, 2011

bookshelves: bethany-has-edited

A great way to spend a few afternoons (in a row). The depth of characters, the fast-moving plot, page-turning suspense kept me RAPT. Don't wait to read this one. I'd recommend it especially to fans of Suzanne Collins.

Enter the world of Kira Moore, a determined and witty sixteen-year-old, coping with a brand of caustic high-school culture few of us could have dreamt up. Kira is a zero. An outcast. Unable to read minds, she simply can’t be trusted.

Which makes the fact that she can mind CONTROL an unbearable and desperate secret. Hiding the terrifying truth from her family and friends, Kira stumbles into an underworld filled with others like her who use their abilities to terrible ends. As she searches for answers and help, she realizes there is nowhere to turn. Even the “good guys” believe that anyone different is dangerous, and their barbaric methods target even young and innocent mindjackers. She’s landed in an ethical warzone.

Open Minds is sure to spark intense reflection (and could lead to fabulous discussion), as readers follow Kira on a journey fraught with danger and moral dilemma. And that’s only the beginning. It is the first book in the Mindjack Trilogy.

I trust the others are hard on its heels.

Sue Quinn and I began writing seriously around the same time, and we formed a friendship that—at the start—revolved around imaginary worlds and the people we dreamed up to inhabit them. Since then, we’ve brainstormed, challenged, critiqued, and cheered each other on in our writing journeys. I remember the birth of this novel—two years ago during National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). One month to write an incredible story. And two years to hone it and release it to the masses.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Open Minds.