Trista's Reviews > We'll Fly Away

We'll Fly Away by Bryan Bliss

bookshelves: arcs-or-galleys, contemporary-ya, cover-love, favorites

I knew this would be a hard read going into it but that still didn't prepare me for its full impact. The way the story unfolded reminded me a bit of the way This Is Us works, with the reader seeing the past and the events leading up to the present, but also getting to see the present through letters one boy was writing to the other. The bond between the boys was strong and it was hard to see them drifting away from each other and fighting, though no matter how angry they'd get they would always worry about the other.

The book was told through three main POVs. We had past Luke, past Toby, and present Luke writing letters to Toby. The boys were very different but it was easy to see why they were friends. It would take something extreme to break into that bond. It was a friendship where they each simply accepted who the other was and when they started drifting away, the more they began questioning each other's choices. These were two boys who really just needed a break in life but it seemed like they would never get it. Luke's letters in the present showed just how hard he was taking the event that landed him on death row, though they never revealed it.

It was a fast read, both because it was so good and I really wanted to finish it but also because it was fast-paced. It wasn't an easy read but definitely worthwhile. One that will stick with me. There was laughter, there were tears, there was anger. So many emotions. When a book gets that much emotion out of me, it definitely deserves a place on my bookshelf. Once it comes out.

*I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We'll Fly Away.

November 1, 2017 – Shelved