Lit Coven's Reviews > The Cruel Prince

The Cruel Prince by Holly Black

bookshelves: 2018-read, series, main-reads

Jude.

Our  girl. She’s vicious. She’s a survivor. And she wasn’t playing around, waiting for someone else to make things happen for her.

(Between you and us, Jude gave us major Kate feels from This Savage Song. The land of Faerie is monstrous and so, Jude wants to be monstrous.)

We found it Interesting that she felt such loyalty for this place, one where she didn’t fit in and she wasn’t wanted. Was it pure stubbornness? Was she so changed from the events of her early life that she didn’t know how to go back to the human world? Was there a bit of Stockholm syndrome?

Well, we’ll leave that up to you.

One of the fascinating aspects of her character was her fear. Genuine and authentic, she hid it from the world, but it was her constant companion.

Madoc was another of our favorite characters, albeit a bit hated as well. Jude met Madoc through an event of great violence, one that changed her life forever, but he’s also the only father she’s ever known. Their relationship is forever entwined with violence and bloodshed, and they’ll never be able to separate the two.

Now...in the Coven we appreciate the sacred bond of Sisterhood. What Jude, Taryn, and Vivi shared, was not exactly what we would call the usual loving bond. They each found their ways to deal. Some of those we were on board with and some felt more like a knife in the back.

The World of Faerie

So close, yet so far from our human realm.

Faerie was arguably the strongest character in The Cruel Prince.The world had its own spirit, its own soul. It lived and breathed on the page! The cruelty, the intrigue, the monstrosity, the immortality, the different laws and reality. Fairie brought so much flavor and personality into the story.

Sounds like our perfect vacation spot. ; )

That Plot, Though.

It was all about that intrigue. Everyone had a secret agenda. No one could be trusted. And even when you thought you knew the plan, someone was playing all the players.

All around...The Cruel Prince killed it. Read it. Or else.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cruel Prince.

Quotes Lit Coven Liked

Holly Black
“Most of all, I hate you because I think of you. Often. It's disgusting, and I can't stop.”
Holly Black, The Cruel Prince

Holly Black
“If I cannot be better than them, I will become so much worse.”
Holly Black, The Cruel Prince