Charlotte May's Reviews > Sabriel

Sabriel by Garth Nix

bookshelves: epic-fantasy, supernatural-paranormal, ya, favourites

“Then Sabriel hears it - the massed grinding of Dead joints, no longer joined by gristle; the padding of Dead feet, bones like hobtails clicking through necrotic flesh.”

Now, I’ll admit a book involving the dead (or zombies if you will) wouldn’t be a normal pick for me. Despite this, Sabriel kept my attention and there was plenty of magic and world building to hook me in!

Sabriel’s father is the Abhorsen - a necromancer with a difference! He returns the dead to their resting place, sends creatures that should be dead into death and generally protects the living from the dead!
When her father goes missing Sabriel must leave her boarding school, travel over the wall into the Old Kingdom and face all sorts of enemies (mainly dead or half dead or bodies taken over by dead spirits- you get the idea.)

With delightful descriptions such as this:
“like an apple corer punching the Dead spirit out of the rotting corpse.”

The main magic system is that of Charter Magic - the use of symbols to create spells, and anyone who is a Charter Mage will have a symbol on their forehead to indicate this. It was a fantastic and creative system.
The other characters were great - Mogget the talking yet mysterious cat and Touchstone - the poor chap who has been trapped for 200 years and has just been rescued.

I really enjoyed this, it was a quick read and though parts of the magic system were a bit tough to figure out I thought it was a great concept and I’ve never read anything else like it!

“Let this be my final lesson. Everyone and everything has a time to die.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sabriel.

November 1, 2017 – Started Reading
November 1, 2017 – Shelved
November 2, 2017 –
page 74
20.16% "Some seriously good world building going on :)"
November 3, 2017 –
page 105
28.61% "I've never read anything with Necromancy - but this has been non stop action from the beginning! Plus it has a talking cat - so I'm sold! :)"
November 7, 2017 –
November 8, 2017 – Shelved as: supernatural-paranormal
November 8, 2017 – Shelved as: ya
November 8, 2017 – Finished Reading
January 9, 2018 – Shelved as: favourites

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Sr3yas (new) - added it

Sr3yas Whoa, I actually have a copy of this book, but I never knew there were zombies in it :p

Great review, Charlotte!

message 2: by Charlotte (last edited Nov 09, 2017 03:39AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Charlotte May Sr3yas wrote: "Whoa, I actually have a copy of this book, but I never knew there were zombies in it :p

Great review, Charlotte!"

I know I completely didn't think that either! I just thought it was a standard fantasy. Thanks :)

Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー Great review, Charlotte!

Charlotte May Thanks Jen 😊💖