Kevin Ansbro's Reviews > Deadman's Tome: Campfire Tales #2

Deadman's Tome by Deadman
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
43579369
“It’s as much fun to scare as to be scared.”
—Vincent Price

A windfall of writers from around the globe have collaborated to bring us a cross-genre anthology of short stories, evoking memories of the creepy tales told over the sound of a crackling campfire.
The writers approach the task with great gusto, each stirring a cauldron of ghoulish accounts that are sure to unnerve and enchant.
The capriciousness of life and death is deftly realised by the participants. And it’s all here: the naivety of a boy trained to kill in one story, set against the born-to-kill detachment of a serial killer in another. Furthermore, we are introduced to a mélange of dystopian metaphors and terrifying doppelgängers, which in turn leads us to nightmarish relationships, flesh-eating monsters and a contingent of extra-terrestrials.
Our very own Richard Van Holst pitches in with a scholarly and delightfully quirky homage to Flaubert’s Parrot that, for me, outshines Lincoln in the Bardo in the posthumous bickering department.
I spent a wonderful time in the company of these talented writers, many of whom are able to channel their dark side with worrying ease. Great stuff!
65 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadman's Tome.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

October 29, 2017 – Started Reading
November 1, 2017 – Shelved
November 1, 2017 – Shelved as: dystopian
November 1, 2017 – Shelved as: gothic-horror
November 1, 2017 – Shelved as: human-cruelty
November 1, 2017 – Shelved as: human-psyche
November 1, 2017 – Shelved as: immorality
November 1, 2017 – Shelved as: magical-realism
November 1, 2017 – Shelved as: psycho-killer
November 1, 2017 – Shelved as: sci-fi
November 1, 2017 – Shelved as: short-stories
November 1, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paromjit (new)

Paromjit Sounds wonderfully scary Kevin....fabulous review. :)


Kevin Ansbro Thanks, Paromjit!
This was a perfect pre-Halloween read!
: )


message 3: by Laysee (new)

Laysee Sounds deliciously unnerving and a perfect read for this time of year. Always fun to read your review, Kevin.


Kevin Ansbro Laysee wrote: "Sounds deliciously unnerving and a perfect read for this time of year. Always fun to read your review, Kevin."

Thank you, and likewise, Laysee!


message 5: by Leo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leo Robertson Thanks so much for reading, Kevin! So glad you enjoyed :) :)


message 6: by Kevin (last edited Nov 01, 2017 05:21AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kevin Ansbro Leo wrote: "Thanks so much for reading, Kevin! So glad you enjoyed :) :)"

You're very welcome, Leo.
You write about dismemberment and cauterisation with alarming ease!
: )


message 7: by Leo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leo Robertson Hahaha—wherever do I get my ideas from :P!!


Kevin Ansbro Leo wrote: "Hahaha—wherever do I get my ideas from :P!!"

I wouldn't like to look inside your deep freezer!


message 9: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Great review Kevin!


message 10: by Kevin (last edited Nov 01, 2017 07:01AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kevin Ansbro Kerry wrote: "Great review Kevin!"

Thanks, Kerry!
I don't usually review author friends' books on Goodreads but, prior to reading this, I only knew Richard Van Holst, and the book was a worthy recipient of all five stars.


Richard Thanks for the excellent review, Kevin! Much appreciated by yours truly (yours truly, yours truly!).


message 12: by Kevin (last edited Nov 01, 2017 08:06AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kevin Ansbro Richard wrote: "Thanks for the excellent review, Kevin! Much appreciated by yours truly (yours truly, yours truly!)."

You are most welcome, Richard!
Rwaaarrkk!


message 13: by Julie (new)

Julie Kevin, I laughed out loud, when I came to: in the posthumous bickering department. I wonder if anyone has ever pondered such a thing before??


Kevin Ansbro Julie wrote: "Kevin, I laughed out loud, when I came to: in the posthumous bickering department. I wonder if anyone has ever pondered such a thing before??"

George Saunders has, though not so adroitly.
Thank you, Julie!


message 15: by Julie (new)

Julie I like to come upon sentences or phrases like that, and wonder if anyone has ever written them before. It's becoming a real challenge, isn't it, to write or say something that has never been written or said by anyone before you.


Kevin Ansbro Julie wrote: "I like to come upon sentences or phrases like that, and wonder if anyone has ever written them before. It's becoming a real challenge, isn't it, to write or say something that has never been writte..."

It is a challenge, Julie, but any writer worth his/her salt should be able to do this with aplomb.


message 17: by Julie (new)

Julie Ha! We all hope you're right, Kevin. Or, at least squeeze a few zingers in there, with all of the other common and overused words!


Kevin Ansbro Julie wrote: "Ha! We all hope you're right, Kevin. Or, at least squeeze a few zingers in there, with all of the other common and overused words!"

This is why I get fed up with certain writers who haven't got an original bone in their body. Nnnnng! Drives me mad. They ought to pack up and try something else.
I hope to read something of yours one day, Julie. I expect flashes of sublimity!


message 19: by Julie (new)

Julie You made me laugh again, Kevin. Feeling far more banal than sublime this morning, following 2 hours of Arctic-temperature tricks or treats. I often wonder how many of those "sublime" sentences I can conjure (the ones that make you stumble), and I continue not to be sure, but I do find a way to write humor and sex, and, well, we need those, too, don't we?


Kevin Ansbro Julie wrote: "You made me laugh again, Kevin. Feeling far more banal than sublime this morning, following 2 hours of Arctic-temperature tricks or treats. I often wonder how many of those "sublime" sentences I ca..."

Humour and sex are the cornerstones of civilisation, Julie. It's what sets us apart from androids!
Sex and humour away, to your heart's content. I shan't stop you!


message 21: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Wonderful review!! I'm glad you enjoyed!


Kevin Ansbro Deanna wrote: "Wonderful review!! I'm glad you enjoyed!"

Thanks, Deanna!


message 23: by Jaline (new)

Jaline Terrific review, Kevin! So glad you had fun with this read. This made me laugh: Kevin wrote: ". . . in the posthumous bickering department."


message 24: by Mackey (new)

Mackey Great, now you've made me remember how much I miss Vincent Price. 😞 (Terrific review though)


Richard Kevin wrote: Our very own Richard Van Holst pitches in with a scholarly and delightfully quirky homage to Flaubert’s Parrot that, for me, outshines Lincoln in the Bardo in the posthumous bickering department.

Having now read your review of Lincoln in the Bardo, I appreciate this comment all the more!


message 26: by Bianca (new)

Bianca Great review.


Kevin Ansbro Jaline wrote: "Terrific review, Kevin! So glad you had fun with this read. This made me laugh: Kevin wrote: ". . . in the posthumous bickering department.""

Thanks, Jaline.
I have my moments!
: )


Kevin Ansbro Mackey wrote: "Great, now you've made me remember how much I miss Vincent Price. 😞 (Terrific review though)"

Aww, Vincent.
What a velvety voice.
Talking of velvety voices, I miss Luther Vandross too!
Thanks, Mackey!


Kevin Ansbro Kimber wrote: "Fantastic review, Kevin! :)"

Thanks, Kimber. I appreciate your comment!


Kevin Ansbro Richard wrote: "Kevin wrote: Our very own Richard Van Holst pitches in with a scholarly and delightfully quirky homage to Flaubert’s Parrot that, for me, outshines Lincoln in the Bardo in the posthumous bickering ..."

You're welcome, Richard.
I enjoyed Posthumous Parrot much more than I did Lincoln in the Bardo!


Kevin Ansbro Bianca wrote: "Great review."

Thanks, Bianca!


Richard Jaline wrote: "Terrific review, Kevin! So glad you had fun with this read. This made me laugh: Kevin wrote: ". . . in the posthumous bickering department.""

It made me laugh too, Jaline!


message 33: by Esil (new)

Esil Sounds like good fun for this time of year, Kevin. And I love your review.


Kevin Ansbro Richard wrote: "Jaline wrote: "Terrific review, Kevin! So glad you had fun with this read. This made me laugh: Kevin wrote: ". . . in the posthumous bickering department.""

It made me laugh too, Jaline!"


Thanks, Richard!
; )


Kevin Ansbro Esil wrote: "Sounds like good fun for this time of year, Kevin. And I love your review."

Thanks, Esil. Really appreciate your kind comments.


message 36: by Larry (new)

Larry H What a great review, Kevin! Sounds like the book was a lot of fun. And I'll agree, the words "posthumous bickering department" are definitely among my favorite to appear in a review all year! :)


Kevin Ansbro Larry wrote: "What a great review, Kevin! Sounds like the book was a lot of fun. And I'll agree, the words "posthumous bickering department" are definitely among my favorite to appear in a review all year! :)"

So kind of you to say, Larry!
Thank you very much.
: )


message 38: by Cheri (new)

Cheri Fabulous review, Kevin! I'm so glad this was a scarey-fun read for you! Loved the "posthumous bickering department"!!


message 39: by Kevin (last edited Nov 03, 2017 12:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kevin Ansbro Cheri wrote: "Fabulous review, Kevin! I'm so glad this was a scarey-fun read for you! Loved the "posthumous bickering department"!!"

Thanks, Cheri!
Everyone loves the 'posthumous bickering department' for some reason. I need to put a patent on it.
: )


message 40: by Karen (new)

Karen Awesome review Kevin!


Kevin Ansbro Karen wrote: "Awesome review Kevin!"

Thanks, Karen!
Lovely of you to say.


message 42: by Atwood (new)

Atwood Cutting Yeow! Kate Peters and her Campfire Tales and Yarns blog will have to check this out.


message 43: by Julie (new)

Julie Fabulous review, Kevin!!


message 44: by PorshaJo (new)

PorshaJo Great review Kevin! I love creepy tales told over the sound of a crackling campfire. Glad you enjoyed this one.


Kevin Ansbro Julie wrote: "Fabulous review, Kevin!!"

Thanks, Julie!!


Kevin Ansbro PorshaJo wrote: "Great review Kevin! I love creepy tales told over the sound of a crackling campfire. Glad you enjoyed this one."

Thanks, Porshajo. Kind, as ever!


back to top