Lisa's Reviews > The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess

The New Rules of Lifting for Women by Lou Schuler

Sep 29, 2011

it was ok
Read from November 10 to 18, 2011

I was really excited about this book after hearing about it on Priorfatgirl.com. But it turns out that this is just another exercise book. Just another person’s opinion. It conflicts with many of the things I have been taught about exercise, and I don’t mean that in a good way. I refuse to believe that aerobic exercise is as unnecessary as he tries to make it sound. Yes, strength training is key in weight loss and overall fitness. I get that. But in order for them to keep working throughout your life, your heart and lungs do in fact need endurance-building exercise. Strength training goes hand in hand with aerobic exercise, but neither one is mutually exclusive.

He tends to go off on overly complicated explanations of body systems. I also don’t like that he essentially ignores the role machines can play in strength training. There is nothing at all wrong with starting out on machines and graduating to free weights, if that’s what you choose to do. There is also nothing wrong with choosing to stick with machines, or doing a mix of machines and free weights. His all-or-nothing approach would probably scare away a lot of beginners.

So overall, kind of disappointing. I would probably only give this one star if not for the fact that it definitely gave me a lot to think about and at least a few good ideas.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The New Rules of Lifting for Women.