Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~'s Reviews > Murder on the Orient Express

Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie

bookshelves: 4-star, audiobook, year-2017

I read this book mostly in preparation for the 2017 film adaption, but I've always been curious about Agatha Christie. She's been recommended to me multiple different times over the course of my life, but I never felt the time was quite right to pick up one of her novels until now.

The premise is very straightforward; master detective Hercule Poirot happens to be aboard the Orient Express rail car when one of the passengers is killed in the night. He is then set to the task of solving the crime while the train is excavated from a surprise snow drift.

Because this is such a short mystery novel, I believe it's best to go in with as little outside knowledge as possible. In fact, there's only one thing I really want to focus on in this review and that is this. I did not guess the murderer.

That is probably the biggest compliment a reviewer can pay to a mystery novel. I didn't even know what the hell was going on for most of this novel if I'm being perfectly honest.

Now, call me an idiot if you feel so inclined, but I personally thought the mystery was very well written. Especially given that we discover clues in time with Hercule Poirot & are limited to knowing only what he knows. The conclusion of this novel took it to a place I never would've conceptualized & it was such a fun ride getting there.

As for the rest, I recommend you pick this up and discover it for yourself. A very approachable murder mystery novel with a classic feel & unique twist!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Murder on the Orient Express.

October 31, 2017 – Started Reading
October 31, 2017 – Shelved
November 2, 2017 – Finished Reading
November 26, 2017 – Shelved as: 4-star
November 26, 2017 – Shelved as: audiobook
November 26, 2017 – Shelved as: year-2017

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)

Celeste SO MUCH FUN. Enjoy, love!!

Liam Degnan Loved this one, hope you enjoy it =].

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Thank you Celeste!! I know you enjoyed this & so far I am as well! ☺️

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Thank you so much Liam! I have high hopes for this book & for Branagh's film interpretation! 🤗

Elise (TheBookishActress) oooh, I hope you love this, Mary! I adored the audiobook, in case you're looking for a good one - it's Dan Stevens, and he does such good character voices that I never had trouble keeping them apart :)

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Thank you Elise! I listened to a sample of Dan Stevens' narration but I ultimately decided to go with Kenneth Branagh as he's one of my favorite actors/narrators & he's playing Poirot in the film! 🤗 gee how lucky for the audiobook to get two amazing narrators!

Elise (TheBookishActress) Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ wrote: "Thank you Elise! I listened to a sample of Dan Stevens' narration but I ultimately decided to go with Kenneth Branagh as he's one of my favorite actors/narrators & he's playing Poirot in the film! ..."

no kidding! hope you like it.

Liam Degnan Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ wrote: "Thank you Elise! I listened to a sample of Dan Stevens' narration but I ultimately decided to go with Kenneth Branagh as he's one of my favorite actors/narrators & he's playing Poirot in the film! ..."

Ooh I wish I knew there was an audiobook with him as the narrator! My e-library only had one option, and I ended up deciding to just read it in print.

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Liam I think it's rather new! As in it just released within the last couple weeks!

Terry Ha, I just picked up this weekend in hopes that I could squeeze it in before the release also. I'm in the middle of 3 other BR at the moment, so I don't know when I'm going to read it, lol - does the thought count in this case? :)

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Hahah Terry at least this one is decently short! I hope you can get to it before release day. I'm just about finished & its definitely worth giving it a go! ☺️

Terry Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ wrote: "Hahah Terry at least this one is decently short! I hope you can get to it before release day. I'm just about finished & its definitely worth giving it a go! ☺️"

That's what I'm hoping - I'm going to try (work and sleep be damned!). Glad to hear that its worth it!

message 13: by kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

kate super book, hope movie will be also :D

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ I agree Kate!!

Ginger Loved this one! Glad you liked it as well Mary! I hope they do well with the movie. *fingers crossed*

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ If Branagh was as passionate as an actor & director as he is narrator I think it'll be a hit!

Ginger Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ wrote: "If Branagh was as passionate as an actor & director as he is narrator I think it'll be a hit!"

I hope so!! :D

message 18: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan I haven't yet read the book, but it's on hold at my library after seeing the movie and WOW. I've only tried the one Christie novel previously and didn't enjoy it, but my fingers are crossed for this one! 😊

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Which one did you try Megan? I hope you like this one! I personally wasn't super fond of the film but the book was great!

message 20: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ wrote: "Which one did you try Megan? I hope you like this one! I personally wasn't super fond of the film but the book was great!"

And Then There Were None. Only chosen for the reason that I knew they'd made a TV series of it in the past few years. 😝

I really enjoyed the film; I literally had no idea of the plot or what to expect so I was continually surprised ahaha. 😉

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ Amazing review, Mary!

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Oh! I've heard of that one! The premise sounds great and it's gotten good reviews but I'm always sort of wary on mystery novels lol. I'm glad you enjoyed the film more than I did my Friend! ☺️😘

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Awh thank you Alex! ☺️

message 24: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ wrote: "Oh! I've heard of that one! The premise sounds great and it's gotten good reviews but I'm always sort of wary on mystery novels lol. I'm glad you enjoyed the film more than I did my Friend! ☺️😘"

Yeah I saw lots of positive reviews about it, but unfortunately it didn't hold my interest and I was pretty indifferent the whole way through. Hopefully you enjoy it if you do pick it up. 😊😊

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Thank you sweet girl! 😘

message 26: by Mizuki (new) - added it

Mizuki I heard this new movie adaptation isn't as good as the older one.

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ I've never seen the older one Mizuki but I'd believe it. I really didn't care for this newer one which is a shame because I really like Kenneth Branagh!

message 28: by Mizuki (new) - added it

Mizuki Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ wrote: "I've never seen the older one Mizuki but I'd believe it. I really didn't care for this newer one which is a shame because I really like Kenneth Branagh!"

^_^

message 29: by Martine (new)

Martine Carlsson I didn't know you were not familiar with A. Christie's work. I do recommend it! she is often underrated or classified as "old/boring". I think her books are sharp, right to the point, and that she is a master of suspense.
One of my favorite books is Crooked house Crooked House Just READ that one!!! :)

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Haha yes ma'am! I've just recently taken an interest in her work. Crooked House & And Then There Were None are both very high on my list! ☺️

Haïfa One of the finest mystery novels I've read!! Great review, love!

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Haifaaa thank youuuuuu! 💞💖

Iryna semi-hiatus (Book and Sword) I might have commented on this already but yayyy so happy you enjoyed it. I haven’t seen the movie, but I do like the book :)

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Haha that's ok Iryna! 🤗 oh man well I'd you like the book I'd go ahead and skip the movie. The ideas are there but the execution was weird & I also didn't love the cinematography 💔