Guy's Reviews > Line War

Line War by Neal Asher

May 06, 2008

bookshelves: science-fiction-and-fantasy

Neil Asher's "Line War" is a solid conclusion to a brilliant series, but don't read it until you have read the previous four books in what should be (but isn't) called the "Ian Cormac" series. Asher tries to fill in the background for the reader who hasn't read the other books, but frankly he does not succeed and it doesn't work particularly well as a stand-alone story.

On the other hand,"Line War" is a great success as the final book in a series, nicely tying off many story lines and largely providing satisfying and mind-expanding explanations for the unresolved puzzles in the previous books. If I had not read the other books, I would have given this one 3 stars, but as a sequel that I'll read again, it gets 5.

At times the action gets a little chopped with multiple story lines going on at the same time, and there are some minor continuity flaws with some of the earlier books, but nothing too serious. I read the book until deep in the night, then the following morning was unable to complete getting up until I had finished it.

Grand-scale science-fiction set in a future that bears some similarities to Iain M. Banks' Culture novels, but sufficiently different to be suprising and interesting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Line War.

Started Reading