-RadioactiveBookworm-'s Reviews > Paradise Girl

Paradise Girl by Phill  Featherstone

liked it

Goodreads Synopsis:
Kerryl Shaw has always kept a diary, but this one is different because she knows she's going to die.
A highly infectious and incurable virus spreads worldwide. Seventeen-year-old Kerryl lives with her family on a remote farm. They think they will be safe, but the danger advances. Despite deaths around them, the Shaws survive. However, this changes when a stranger arrives, and it soon becomes apparent he has brought the plague to their door. One by one they succumb, leaving Kerryl alone.
Kerryl is sure it’s only a matter of time before she, too, catches the infection and dies. She decides to record what she thinks will be her final days. She realizes that her diary will never be read, so she imagines a reader and calls him Adam. Loneliness and isolation affect the balance of her mind, until she thinks that only Adam can save her.

My Review:
I received a copy from Netgalley in exchange for a review.

The book is actually a series of diaries written by a seventeen year old girl named Cheryl (Keryl), aka Paradise Girl. In the first journal, she's living in a quiet world, one being wiped out by infection. She lives with her brother, Lander, their mom, and their grandparents.

I had a hard time reading the purple journal. The story itself was good, aside from over explaining the plot a couple times, but it had newspaper clippings and print offs spliced into the book and although it would be cool in a paperback, in an ebook it came across kind of messy and hard to read, as the font and size of the writing kept changing. After those I assumed I would have a bad time reading the rest of the book, but I was wrong. I'm glad it wasn’t a major part of the book.

The green journal is her present day life, starting two days after the purple journal ends. Her story is depressing and I really liked how she developed throughout the book. The third part is simply named "After", from another viewpoint entirely.

Although I had a rocky start with the beginning, the story really grew on me. By the last third of the book I didn't want to put it down and was excited to see what would happen next. This began as an apocalyptic infection and morphed into something else entirely. I'm glad I pushed through and finished this book because it was a refreshing read. Definitely check it out if you get the chance.

Here's a link to the authors twitter, in case you have any questions.

Thanks for reading! Check out this review and more at my blog.
(Radioactivebookreviews.wordpress.com)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paradise Girl.

October 30, 2017 – Started Reading