Amy's Reviews > What Unites Us: Reflections on Patriotism

What Unites Us by Dan Rather

Dan Rather is a national treasure and a true patriot (not a nationalist, an important differentiation as he points out). I loved hearing about his childhood and landmark stories he covered like Watergate, but he does not go deep on these. I'll have to pick up Rather Outspoken: My Life in the News to get the juicy details!

The anecdotes in the book are organized by broad themes like "science is real!" and "art is important!" Unfortunately, there aren't really any strong calls to action or new ideas. Well, maybe they are new ideas to your racist uncle... in fact, this would make a great Christmas gift for all of your backwards-thinking relatives!

I don't think Rather ever mentions Drumpf by name, but constantly alludes to the deranged cantaloupe and his supporters. This vagueness and over-caution is a detriment: I think his best writing is specific and raw.

Despite all that, I still recommend this book. And you must follow Dan Rather on Facebook (why do I feel like I should call him Mr. Rather?!), and any time he is on The Rachel Maddow Show you know it's going to be a great interview.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Unites Us.

October 30, 2017 – Started Reading
October 30, 2017 – Shelved
November 2, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Steve (new) - added it

Steve Sarner Great review and I like deranged cantaloupe - had not heard that one yet! :)