Kathryn Bashaar's Reviews > Algorithms to Live By: The Computer Science of Human Decisions

Algorithms to Live By by Brian Christian

liked it

This book was entertaining to me because I minored in Math & Computer Science in college and have made most of my career in information mangement. The premise is that computers are so fast and so smart now that they can solve problems that stymied mathematicians for centuries, and can even shed light on more everyday human problems. Such as, how long many people should I interview before making a hiring decision? Or, should I finish my small tasks first or tackle the big ones? The main conclusion that I took from this book was that human beings, using what we often call common sense, on average will come pretty close to optimal on such decisions. As Shakespeare said, "What a piece of work is man!"
Some of the math got a little overwhelming for me. The book could have been a little shorter. But I loved the enthusiasm these guys have for their subject, and the pace and language were sprightly enough that I never lost interest.
Like my reviews? Check out my blog at http://www.kathrynbashaar.com/blog/
Author of The Saint's Mistres: http://www.synergebooks.com/ebook_sai...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Algorithms to Live By.

2017 – Started Reading