Jennifer Wardrip's Reviews > Little (Grrl) Lost

Little (Grrl) Lost by Charles de Lint

liked it
bookshelves: trt-posted-reviews, read-by-other-reviewers

Reviewed by coollibrarianchick for TeensReadToo.com

Charles de Lint once said, "The fey wonders of the world only exist while there are those with the sight to see them."

Magical Folk are very particular who they appear to and not every Tom, Dick, or Mary can see them.

T.J., in LITTLE (GRRL) LOST, has the sight.

Scritch, scritch, scritch.....

T.J. has been hearing that sound for days now as she lay in her bed at night. Each time she turns on her light to investigate, the noises stop. She hopes its not mice making the racket. It didn't sound like mice and when she leaned her ear up against the baseboard she thought she actually heard....voices. Crazy, huh?

But then the impossible happened -- a door in the wall suddenly opened, splashing a stream of light, and out walked a little girl with bright blue hair and a dufflebag slung over her shoulder. She looked to be about six inches tall. Her parents were demanding that she come back this instant.

T.J. thought she was dreaming, but yet she was wide awake and this little girl was talking to her. She had a huge attitude, making her seem much taller than her six inches. It turned out that they had a lot in common and that night was the start of a friendship.

With two plots running, the main lesson learned from this story is that it doesn't matter if you are a Little or a Big, learning about yourself is a growing process that at times takes you on journeys you never would have imagined.

I didn't read much fantasy until a student put one of Charles de Lint's books in my hand - from that moment on I was hooked. His work (at least the ones I have read) I find to be engaging and easy to read. LITTLE (GRRL) LOST, his newest offering, is no exception. I finished it within a couple of hours. I think what I like most about his work is that it is not hardcore dark fantasy. Instead, it is contemporary fiction with all of the fantastical elements needed to be considered a fantasy selection - fairies, gnomes, goblins, and other magical creatures.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little (Grrl) Lost.

May 6, 2008 – Shelved